When recording audio in noisy environments you often have problems with background noise.
Unless you’ve used professional and well-positioned microphones, you’ll end up with an audio file where in addition to voice and music, there’ll also be a certain amount of background noise.
In digital audio, when we talk about background noise we mean a constant noise or noise in an audio track.
Although this background noise is apparently insignificant, it could still be a problem you decide to use that audio to create an excellent quality video.
How to Remove Background Noise from Audio Files
To proceed with the elimination of background noise from the audio files it is necessary to have a specific program.
There are many on the market, but my advice is to use Audacity, a totally free program that can be downloaded by connecting to the Audacityteam site.
Once you have downloaded and installed the Audacity program you will need an additional plugin called LAME MP3 which allows you to save your recordings in MP3 format.
How to eliminate the background noise of a Mp3 audio file with Audacity
There are several steps you can take to improve an audio file with Audacity.
- First of all, import the audio file to be edited within the application by selecting the Open item from the File menu or create a new recording directly in Audacity by pressing the REC button.
- Identify the part of the audio track that contains only the background noise.
- Select with the mouse the part of the track where you hear only the noise that need to be eliminated (without the voice or other sounds above) and calls the Noise Removal function from the Effects menu.
- Click on the ” Process noise profile ” button, in this way Audacity will analyze the background noise you want to remove. The window will close automatically.
- Select the entire audio track by going to the “Edit”> “Select”> “All” menu. Go back to the ” Effects ” menu and click again on the ” Noise Removal ” item.
- At this point, adjust the various settings available according to your needs. You can preview the audio file without noise before applying the changes by clicking the Preview button.
- Click on the OK button; Audacity will analyze your entire audio file and remove background noise.
When you are a beginner, a very frequent mistake is to set excessive parameters or you may alter all the values to look for better sound effects and total cleaning from the background noise.
In reality, it is highly inadvisable to use parameters that are too high (or too low) because they can also have impact on the actual audio itself.