If you are reading this guide, you will surely know the benefits you will get when you go to unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices. This procedure will allow you to install TWRP recovery, get root permissions and install custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, etc. Motorola unlike other companies, officially allows the release of the bootloader on almost all of its devices, except those blocked by Verizon and AT & T in the United States.
The procedure to unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices is not as simple as on a Nexus device. You must follow the long unlocking process provided by Motorola, and warn of the loss of the warranty after unlocking, in case you need to bring the device to a service center.
Now let’s go into the heart of the process and follow all the steps carefully, even if it is important to know these warnings indicated by Motorola:
WARNINGS: “Unblocking the device and installing your own software may cause the device to lock up, disable important features and functionality, and even make the device unsafe to the point of damage. Neither Motorola nor your carrier or the retailer from whom you purchased the device will be liable for such damages, so do not unlock or upload any software unless you know what you are doing.”
“Once the unlock code is obtained, the device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, do not blame us if things go wrong, even if they seem unrelated to unlocking the bootloader. “
Guide to unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices
- Configure ADB and Fastboot on your PC to help you use this guide.
- Download and install Moto USB drivers from this link on your computer.
- Go to the Motorola website at the UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER page – link.
- If you do not know the risks associated with unlocking the bootloader, please read the first page of the site and then click on the ” Next ” button at the end of the page.
- You will be asked to log in to the service using your Motorola account. If you do not have one, use the ” Register with Motorola ID ” link or simply log in with your Google account using the ” Sign in with Google ” button.
- Proceeding, you will come to the page ” Unblock your bootloader ” on the Motorola site. Leave the page open for now, we’ll come back to a later step.
- Enable OEM unlock on your phone: go to Settings »About phone» and tap Build number 7 times to activate Developer options »select Developer options from Settings» and enable OEM unlocking.
- Now start the Motorola device in Bootloader / Fastboot mode:
- Turn off the device.
- Hold down ” Volume Down + Power Button ” for at least 3 seconds and then release the buttons. The phone starts in bootloader mode.
- Once the device is in Bootloader mode, connect it to the PC.
- Open a command window on the PC and enter the following command:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- This generates a string that will be used to recover the unlock key.
- Check the following sample string:
Example string: (bootloader) 0A40040192024205 # 4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239 # BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5 # 1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
- Now line by line, copy the 5 strings in a single line. DO NOT include text (bootloader). Your complete string will appear as shown in the following example:
Example string: 0A40040192024205 # 4C4D355631323030373731363031303332323239 # BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5 # 1F532800020000000000000000000000
- This is an example. The generated string will be different and will be unique to your device.
- Once you have the complete string ready, you have to paste it into the box in step 7 of the Motorola page, which was opened previously, and press the “Can my device be unlocked?“.
- The unique string will now be processed and if your device is unlockable, a ” REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button will appear at the bottom of the page.
- Scroll down, accept the legal agreement by checking the “I Agree” box and then press the blue “REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button.
- You will now receive an email with your unlock code. The email will be sent to the email account you entered to access the Motorola site.
If you do not see an e-mail in your e-mail box, check the Spam folder as well.
- Copy the unlocking key received in the email and enter the following command via the command window on the PC to the Moto device (which is connected to the PC in Bootloader mode).
fastboot oem unlock paste-your-unlock-key-here
- Replace the paste-your-unlock-key-here text in the previous command with the 20-character alphanumeric numeric unlock code.
- The Motorola device now confirms the unlocking of the bootloader and automatically restarts the device.
Done! You have successfully completed the procedure that allowed you to unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices successfully.