If the MacBook is a tantrum and you often have problems with the detection of the battery or the management of the fan, the ultimate solution could be really simple and I’ll explain it to you in this article!
Many owners of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air have asked for help in forums and Mac support centers complaining of an annoying problem involving the battery and the cooling fan; in particular, in some of these Macs the battery is not always recognized causing problems during the use of the computer such as interrupting the charging or unexpected shutdown of the notebook while in others there is an irregular activity of the cooling fan.
As there have been numerous reports, Apple has published a guide in support that indicates a possible solution to these problems: the reset of the SMC.
How to reset the SMC of the Mac?
The SMC reset is a technical operation but very simple to make and above all does not endanger the proper functioning of the Mac.
Before resetting the SMC, a computer on I suggest you put the Mac in STOP using the Apple menu of OSX; reactivate the system and restart it, finally switch off the Mac completely using the “Turn off …” item from the Apple menu.
If the system does not respond to commands, try the forced shutdown by holding down the power button for more than 10 seconds.
After performing these preliminary steps, you can reset the SMC but you must follow the instructions according to the computer in your possession.
MacBook with removable battery
- Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord
- Remove the battery (could you help yourself with a coin)
- Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds then release
- Reinsert the battery, the power cord
- Turn on the Mac
MacBook with non-removable battery
- Turn off the Mac and connect the power supply
- Press the Ctrl-Alt-Shift keys (left) and the power-on keys simultaneously
- Release all the keys at the same time
- Turn on the computer again
You can check if the reset was successful by using the MagSafe power supply LED; during step 3 you will notice that it changes color or goes off for a few seconds.
iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro and Xserve
- Turn off the Mac and unplug the power supply
- Wait at least 15 seconds and reconnect the cables
- Wait another 5 seconds from the connection
- Start the Mac
Resetting the SMC involves the loss of some preferences related to power and energy management (screen brightness, keyboard, etc …).
With this guide you will surely have solved the problem with your MacBook then share the article with your friends, it will also serve them!