If you have purchased the new OnePlus 5T and want to make customizations on the operating system and make your device unique, then this guide is for you. In this article, we will explain, how to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader and how to get root permissions on the device. By doing so, you can enter the world of modding on the device of the Chinese company and make customizations.
How to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader and get root permissions
The OnePlus 5T is sold with the locked bootloader and encrypted Data partition. Consequently, any operation related to unlocking the bootloader will cause the deletion of all data stored on the device. It is therefore highly advisable to make a backup before proceeding.
Recall also that the procedure described in this guide to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader and root permissions presents some complex operations that, if done incorrectly, could compromise your device. We do not recommend execution if you are not an expert on these procedures and if you do not have a good experience of the modding world.
How to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader
- Open the Settings in OnePlus 5T and go to “Phone Information”;
- Touch the Build number several times (about 7 times) to enable developer mode;
- Back on the main settings screen, you will see the “Developer Options” item appear;
- Enter “Developer Options” and enable USB debugging, advanced reboot and OEM unlocking;
- Before proceeding, check that the OEM unlock has actually been activated by going to the main page and back to “Developer Options”;
- Connect your phone to the PC in fastboot mode, open the command prompt and type the following code:
fastboot dev ices
(This command shows the connected devices, if you see the serial number of your OnePlus 5T you can continue).
- If the phone has been recognized correctly proceed with the unlocking of the bootloader by typing the following command (CAUTION UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER COMPRISES THE LOSS OF ALL DATA INCLUDING THOSE ON THE INTERNAL MEMORY):
fastboot oem unlock
- a confirmation screen will appear, select “Yes” by pressing the Volume + key and confirm by pressing the Power key ( this operation will erase all data on the device! );
- To check the unlocking, enter the following code:
fastboot oem device-info
- If everything worked correctly you should receive this answer:
( bootloader ) Device unlocked: true
- When the operation is completed, restart the phone by entering the following code:
At this point, you can close the command prompt. You have unlocked the bootloader on your OnePlus 5T!
Obtain Root permissions on OnePlus 5T
To manage root permissions on OnePlus 5T, it will be necessary to install a custom recovery such as TWRP and the flash of the SuperSU or Magisk package.
- Check before they are enabled all the settings as developer’s options (OEM / advanced / USB Debugging restart);
- Download the official TWRP Recovery;
- Create a folder on your desktop and insert the recovery file you just downloaded into it.
- Also download SuperSU or Magisk.
- Transfer the file you downloaded to the phone’s internal memory. By default, it “Select USB configuration” item is set to Reload: in order to be able to execute this point of the guide it is necessary to modify the configuration in “MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)”.
- Turn off the phone and start it in fastboot mode.
- Rename the recovery file you previously downloaded in “twrp.img” (note that it is not twrp.img.img).
- Open the command prompt and type the following command:
cd Desktop \ folder_name
- In this way you will access the folder with the file that you have previously downloaded. At this point you can flash the device by typing:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Then enter the following command:
fastboot boot twrp.img
- DO NOT RESTART THE OS NOW, press and hold the Power button and in the warning screen of the unlocked Bootloader go to the volume button to select the start in recovery.
- At this point it will start in recovery and you will have to allow changes to the system (allow system modifications) by swiping right on your OnePlus 5T;
- Select your language, click on “Never show this screen on boot again” and run a swipe to allow changes;
- navigate to the installation menu and select SuperSU or Magisk to install the zip. Always confirm with a swipe to perform the flash;
- Restart the device;
- The device may restart a couple of times. Once the procedure is complete, you can finally enjoy the root on the OnePlus 5T!
Warning: Once the TWRP recovery is installed it is essential not to install incremental OTA packages (updates), they would lead to the brick of the phone. Install only complete packages for the security of your device!