FaceTime has made it incredibly easier to keep in touch with loved ones, especially if you live abroad or otherwise far from family members and people we love. The Apple app allows you to spend happy moments with your loved ones and break down the barriers of distances, but unfortunately does not allow you to store a digital copy of the video call made. Once the conversation is over, in fact, there remains no trace of that moment spent except in our memories. Fortunately, there is a way to record video calls on FaceTime. Continue reading to find out how to do it.
Record video calls on FaceTime with iPhone, iPad or Mac
Following the procedures that I will show you below you will be able to record the video calls made on FaceTime with an iPhone, iPad or Mac.
How to record FaceTime video calls on iPhone and iPad
Despite iOS 11 Apple has added the ability to record the screen of the iPhone or iPad, unfortunately this feature is not useful for recording video calls on FaceTime, as it will not be able to record the audio of the entire conversation. To overcome this limitation, we must employ a technique that requires the use of QuikTime.
- Before anything, connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac/PC using the lightning cable. Make sure the device is unlocked.
- Launch the QuickTime application on your Mac/PC, then go to File> New Movie Recording.
- In the window that appears, click the down arrow button next to the REC button and make sure you select your iPhone or iPad in the camera section. In this way, you are actually telling QuickTime to record what is happening on the iPhone or iPad screen.
- At this point, click the red REC button on QuickTime to start recording and immediately start the FaceTime video call on your iPhone or iPad.
- When you have finished the video call, all you have to do is press the same REC button to stop recording. The FaceTime video call will be immediately memorized. It will then be sufficient to go to File and select the item Save to archive the recording on the computer.
How to record FaceTime video calls on Mac
Obviously, if you have a Mac and want to make the FaceTime video call directly on the Apple computer, you can also record the call using the same technique that I showed above, of course with some changes. Our keystone is always the QuikTime program. Here’s how to do it.
- Open FaceTime on your Mac first.
- Open QuickTime on your Mac and go to File> New screen recording. In this way we will record everything that will be shown on the screen of our Mac.
- Before start recording, be sure to record audio as well. To do this, you will have to click on the small down arrow located next to the REC button and select the microphone you want to use. Unless you have a microphone connected, you will need to select the internal microphone.
- At this point you just have to start recording by pressing the REC button. You can choose whether to record the whole screen – perhaps by enlarging the FaceTime window – or select only the area occupied by the FaceTime application.
- After starting the screen recording, start the FaceTime video call. Once the conversation is over, all you have to do is press the Stop button located at the top bar of the Mac menu.
As you may have noticed, the procedure for recording a video call on FaceTime is quite simple. On the official Apple website you can find more information on how to make a video call with Fice Time.