Improvements, additions, changes and new features in Windows 10 after upgrading to version 1809 of October 2018
With the official release of the Windows 10 feature update of October 2018, Windows 10 switched to version 1809, codenamed Redstone 5.
Microsoft has therefore changed several things in its operating system, making important additions and changes that will be better to know not to be confused and to make the most of its resources.
In this guide we go then to see all the new features that Microsoft has included in the 1809 version of Windows 10, focusing especially on what you can do more now on the PC, the changes that have involved some apps and settings and the functions removed that they are removed from the Windows system.
1) Start Menu
In this new feature update, it is now possible to hide the scroll bars in the Start menu using the “Automatically hide scroll bars in Windows” option under Settings> Accessibility.
Also, you can give a title to the folders in the Start menu.
Originally, the Start menu included only the search in the previews for web results while, in the new version, the search expands to apps, documents and more.
The new search has a wider interface and will help you find recent documents, view more information about files and access results on the internet.
In addition, Microsoft is modifying web previews so that if you search for an application, you can directly press the button to download the app.
3) Operations Center
In the Operations Center, notifications are displayed with a fading animation.
In addition, you will receive notifications when a supported and connected Bluetooth device has low battery and when Windows 10 blocks an app’s access to the microphone.
4) File Explorer
In this new version, Windows 10 introduces a new dark theme for File Explorer, ie for folders.
To activate the dark menu of Windows folders, go to Settings and then to Personalization> Colors in the “Personalization” section of the Settings app.
You can also open PowerShell in File Explorer by pressing a file with the right mouse button along with the Shift key.
In addition, sorting of the “Size” filters has been updated while viewing files using the “Details” view so you can find the biggest files more easily.
The size groups are now: 0 – 10 KB, 16 KB – 1 MB, 1 MB to 128 MB, 128 MB – 1 GB, 1 GB – 4 GB and over 4 GB.
Finally, on the Share tab in File Explorer, the Remove Access and Advanced Security icons have been renewed.
5) Copy and paste
On Windows 10 version 1809, it has finally improved (it was since the days of XP that this change was expected) the management of the copy and paste notes.
As always, you can use the Ctrl + C keys to copy and Ctrl + V to paste.
However, now you can open the clipboard history copied by pressing the Windows and V keys.
From here, you can clear all the history or enable the function if it is currently disabled.
Using the new management of the Clipboard, you can also paste everything that is listed in the history, and keep items and texts that you use to paste often, for faster copy and paste.
The chronology of the notes, then, is synchronized to the cloud and is visible on all Windows 10 PCs that use the same Microsoft account.
In Settings> System, you will now find the options to configure the copy and paste and the Windows clipboard.
6) Projection on this PC
Starting with version 1809, Windows 10 shows a new control banner at the top of the screen when using the “Projection on this PC function”.
In this bar, by pressing the gear button you can optimize the video streaming based on 3 modes: Game Mode, Video Mode, Productivity Mode which is a middle ground.
7) Game bar and game modes
As for games, the Windows update October 10, 2018 introduces a brand new game bar and game mode improvements.
Starting with version 1809, the new game bar introduces a new design with a wider interface, with audio controls to change the default audio output device and disable or adjust the volume of games and apps.
You can now open the game bar from the Start menu or by using the Windows + G keyboard shortcut.
8) New Settings
Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 update) also improves the Settings app with new features and changes, including the “Have a question” section in the right panel, to find answers to the most common questions about Windows 10 settings.
As for the Settings menu we can see the following changes:
– System> Screen: In the screen settings, there is a new Windows HD Color section to control HDR settings (high dynamic range) and wide color gamut (WCG) for photos, videos, games and apps.
– System> Audio: you can change names to devices and select the preferred spatial audio format, there is an option to disable the speakers (or the microphone if you are on the input properties page).
– System> Assistant Notifications: The notifications assistant now activates automatically when you open a game in full screen.
– System> Storage: In Storage an option has been added to the Memory Sensor to activate only if there is little disk space.
A new option only makes files saved in OneDrive available online when there is little disk space.
However, if the “Always keep on this device” option has been used, those files will still be saved on your computer disk, too
– System> Clipboard is a new section as explained in step 5 for copying and pasting
– Devices> Bluetooth: you can now see the battery level for Bluetooth supported devices, such as mouse, keyboard and pen.
– devices> key: there are no statistics on how the system has helped to write better and proper if it is on automatic correction of spelling errors.
note that the Windows 10 touchscreen keyboard is now the SwiftKey, the same that can also be used on Android and iPhone
– Network and Internet> Data Consumption: you can now have statistics on the use of data when roaming if you use a SIM card.
You can completely enable or disable roaming in the cellular network settings.
– App> Video playback: you can adjust the brightness of the video according to the lighting of the space in which we are, to be able to see it better (works only on tablets and PC with brightness sensor).
– Account> Family and other people: you can use a wizard to configure the assigned access of Windows 10, the way to start Windows on a single app that can be Edge to browse or more.
– Date, time and language: now there are two different settings pages, one for Region and language and another for Language.
In the new Region page, in addition to the previously available settings, you can now overwrite the default regional settings and change Calendar, First day of the week, Dates and Times.
You can also change the date formats.
In the new Language page there is a link to add more language packages from the Microsoft Store.
– Games: Game DVR has been renamed to Capture.
– Research> Cortana: you can change the name Cortana uses to call us.
On the page “Permissions and history” of the “Cortana” section, there is a Customize section to check the Microsoft account that the digital assistant uses to customize our experience.
In the “History” section, you can enable or disable the recommendations to resume activities from where they were interrupted after changing PC
– Accessibility> Screen: There is a new option to make the text bigger
– Accessibility> Magnifying glass: you can keep your mouse centered on the screen in full screen mode and you get more control over the zoom level increments with the addition of the 5% and 10% options.
–Accessibility> Voice Assistant: Now the Voice Assistant automatically reads the contents of a window when it is present in the foreground.
You can now search for text using the new Find function, you can listen to the list of links, titles or reference points in the application or in the contents of a document.
You can select a data block by moving to one end and pressing F9, then to the other end of the block by pressing F10.
Once F10 is pressed, the entire content between the two points will be selected.
– Settings> Privacy: Beginning with the 1809 update of Windows 10, the voice recognition page allows you to activate online speech recognition.
The write customization option instead allows you to gather info about yourself, namely typing history and handwriting patterns to create a local dictionary and improve suggestions.
– Update and security> Windows Update: in Windows 10, rebooting after an update is more adaptive and does not take place if the PC is in use.
The Delivery optimization function is now repositioned in the “Update and security” section, under “Windows update”.
9) System operation
On Windows 10 version 1809, the Task Manager shows an icon when a process is suspended, in the “Status” column of the “Processes” tab.
In addition, when you hover over the leaf icon with the mouse, a tip will now appear that describes what it means.
The Task Manager now includes two new columns in the “Processes” tab to show the energy impact of the process running on your system, to understand which programs and apps cost the most power and battery.
The metric takes into account the use of the processor, the graphics and the disk drive when calculating power consumption.
10) Screen Capture
Cut and share screenshots quickly by pressing the Windows + Shift + S keys which displays a bar with all the basic tools you need.
In the Keyboard settings you can activate the option to make the capture toolbar appear even if you press the Print button.
The button to activate screen capture or screenshots is now also presented in the operations center.
11) The Windows Notepad, after many years, is improved with the zoom of the text and with the search.
On Windows Notepad, if you select text and then open the search bar, it is automatically populated with the selected text.
In addition, Notepad now supports the ability to display row and column numbers when word wrap is enabled in the new status bar and you can use the Ctrl + Delete key combination to delete the previous word entered.
In the Edit menu and use the new “Search with Bing” option (Ctrl + E) to search for the word using Microsoft Edge.
12) Your phone (explained in another post) is a new app to be found on the Start menu that allows you to receive notifications from your smartphone on your PC, to reply to SMS messages and to view photos of your phone.
13) Other minor changes and features added to Windows 10 with version 1809:
– The EMojis have been renewed
– SwiftKey is available in Windows 10 as a virtual keyboard and touchscreen, with also included the corrector functions and writing predictions.
– You can install new fonts without being administrators.
– The functions of the Home Group have been permanently removed.
– The Control Panel no longer includes settings to adjust the brightness, which are now in the Settings app.
– In Windows 10 Pro for workstations, you will find a new energy-efficient scheme of maximum performance.
– Support for the HEIF file format for images.
– Diagnostic data viewer is the app with reports of problems that have been sent or will be sent to Microsoft.
– The registry editor is updated with a new drop-down menu to complete the next part of the route.
– Disk Cleanup is no longer in the Properties of the disk, but you can still use it by pressing on the Start menu with the right button> Run> cleanmgr/sageset: 50.
14) Improvements for Microsoft Edge
The integrated browser in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is updated to a new version with some changes.
There is an updated main menu (the one with the three-point button) that organizes the items into groups, with an icon for each item and the indication of the keyboard shortcut (when applicable).
“Reading List”, “Books”, “History”, “Download” and “Help and Feedback” are new items in the menu list.
The main settings page has also been redesigned with options divided into four groups, including “General”, “Privacy and security”, “Password and auto-fill” and “Advanced.”
You can decide whether web videos should be played automatically in Advanced Settings > Automatic Media Playback.
Furthermore, you can check the autoplay permissions at the level of each individual site in the “Website Authorization” section of the website identification box.
Finally, there is a new icon for PDFs in File Explorer, when Microsoft Edge is the default application for opening PDF files.
15) Security section enhancement
The “Windows Defender Security Center” is renamed to Windows Security.
Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) for Microsoft Edge offers performance improvements to make the experience lighter and faster.
In this update of Windows 10 October 2018, Windows Defender Application Guard introduces a new interface in Windows Security to enable and configure functionality without the need to modify registry settings.
You can activate Application Guard in Windows Security> Control app and browser> Navigation isolation.
Access to controlled folders that blocks ransomware and other types of malware attacks is easier and allows you to create a list of applications that are always allowed without disabling functionality.
When an app is blocked, it will appear in a list of recently blocked apps on the Virus and Threat Protection page underManage settings in the Ransomware Protection section.
On the Performance and Health page of the device, a new evaluation is available for the Windows Time service. If the time is not synchronized correctly on your computer, you can re-enable the synchronization service.