short guide on how to disable Windows Quick Start which, most of the time, is a disadvantage and not an advantage
‘Windows Quick Start‘ is nothing more than a boot of the Windows operating system executed faster. As we all have noted, using this feature the system takes very little to start, just a few seconds, allowing you to start your work right now without having to wait for the whole system to be loaded from scratch.
Why disable quick start on Windows
In fact, the system is not started up with a healthy plan, but “an already open kernel session” is loaded. To make it simple, as soon as we give the computer shutdown command, the system leaves the files and registers necessary at boot in the hard disk’s memory so that, at the next switch-on, these must not be searched and picked up.
The advantage is one and it is clear, but we also find some disadvantages:
- hard disk stress: every time you switch off, several files are saved to disk. This is a problem especially if you have an SSD, whose performance degrades with increasing scripts.
- the presence of a file called hiberfil.sys: a file as big as your RAM that is used for quick booting and hibernation, subtracting precious resources from programs and files.
- long shutdown times: due to saving the RAM on the hard disk.
- the possibility of incurring more and more errors and slowdowns, as it is as if the PC never goes out.
How to disable quick start on Windows
We have two ways to disable quick start on Windows 8/8.1/10:
1) Delete the file hiberfil.sys, with it you will eliminate the possibility of hibernation and also the quick start. It’s a solution perhaps a little more drastic, but reversible.
2) From Windows settings, recommended solution.
Here are the 5 steps to disable the quick start on Windows from the settings:
1. Type ‘Energy saving tasks‘ in the Windows search box and press Enter.
2. Select ‘Specify power button behavior‘.
3. Click on ‘Change settings currently not available‘.
4. Scroll down to ‘Stop Settings and deselect Enable Quick Start‘.
5. Click on ‘Save changes‘.
Well done! The ‘Quick Start Windows‘ has now been deactivated. For any questions, write us in the comments.