Powerpoint is a historical program, the first one I personally used when I had the first PC with Windows XP, so appreciated by everyone for the ease with which you can create graphics, in the form of presentations, but also tickets, signs and written printouts and colors.
For those who work in dynamic companies or as an independent professional, then, Powerpoint becomes a fundamental program even more than Word, to present projects and plans of all kinds.
Microsoft Powerpoint is the standard tool in the world to create multimedia presentations and allows, easily, to draw and write slides with figures and animations. There would be no big reason to look for Powerpoint-like presentation programs if it were not for two reasons:
– Microsoft Powerpoint is not a free program but is part of the Office suite;
– There may be a need not to use a program installed on the desktop but, rather, a web application that allows easy sharing and collaboration, without forcing anyone to use Powerpoint.
Let’s see then the best free alternatives to Powerpoint (and to KeyNote on Mac) to create presentations with programs and web applications, even in a new and different way.
1) LibreOffice is the main alternative to Microsoft Office, improved a lot over the years, getting on par with Microsoft Office in many ways.
LibreOffice is 100% free, open source and multiplatform, can also be used for commercial purposes at no cost.
Inside LibreOffice there is the Impress program, similar to Powerpoint, with which you can create all kinds of multimedia presentations based on slides and slides, with 3D clip art and drawings, animations and different display modes.
Of course you can save a presentation in PowerPoint format to send it to those who are still tied to Microsoft products.
Like PowerPoint, Impress has a rich selection of ready-made templates (especially for downloading from the internet) and drawings for different formats.2) WPS Free Office is another alternative program to Microsoft Office, which includes its version of Powerpoint.
Unlike LibreOffice, WPS is not open source and the free version is supported by ads that are non-intrusive and are not visible during the presentation.
The WPS Presentations program offers a huge catalog of models with a good combination of fun and corporate design.
The interface of WPS Presentation is beautiful to see and use, with most of the tools available in its high-style Microsoft menu.
WPS presentations are fully compatible with Microsoft PowerPoint formats, easy to export to a series of images, a PDF or a video file.3) SoftMaker FreeOffice is a smaller version of the most powerful SoftMaker Office and lacks some of the features.
FreeOffice Presentations has only four pre-installed templates, all very simple compared to WPS.
It’s easy to add images, text, tables and other multimedia to presentations and you can import items directly from PlanMaker (its spreadsheet tool) and WordMaker (its Word).
FreeOffice Presentations allows you to save jobs in PPT format, but not in PPTX, which can be a problem.
4)The true and original Microsoft Powerpoint online is available as a web application on the Office Web Apps site, to create Powerpoint PPT or PPTX presentations via the Internet.
5) Google Slides is easy to use, quick to load and allows you to create new presentations, even in collaboration with other people.
The slides are 100% free, they support the models and allow you to create, edit and manage presentations from any PC with access to the Internet, and also via tablets and smartphones.
Compared a few years ago, Google Slides has improved significantly with the ability to save and share presentations in JPG, PNG and SVG formats.
You can change the theme and background of the presentation, insert text boxes, images and videos, import individual slides and much more.
Files can be saved on the online space provided by Google Drive.
6) Microsoft Sway, another web application Started in 2015 to create online presentations in an easy and fast way, mainly oriented to the sharing of slides on the internet (review in another article).
7) Prezi is one of those applications to make presentations in a completely different way from the usual, with a single large image that can be enlarged and zoomed.
So there are no slides, the presentation moves along the same image.
8) Zoho Show is another online program similar to Google Slides.
Zoho is another Office suite not 100% free, but that can be used for free with some limitations.
Zoho Show is the presentations program of this suite and is a Web app. Zoho Show can import PPS, PPT, PPTX, PPSX, ODP and SXI file formats while maintaining formatting.
9) FiftyThree Paste is a web application that can be used for free with few restrictions, allowing you to add photos, GIFs, links and drawings on slides
It is possible to insert contents coming from websites, social networks, cloud storage services.
Each slide focuses on an image and little text, with few layout and color options.
10) SlideDog is an online program to create superior quality graphic presentations.
You can register for a free account that allows you to save files up to 250 MB.
It has a nice user interface, allows you to add themes, layouts, shapes, graphics, tables, images, audio, video and animation in Flash, can integrate content from other sites such as Flickr and Youtube and can be integrated with Powerpoint.
You can also create interactive survey forms and checklists.
SlideDog is the presentation tool for anyone who wants a modern but easy alternative, to combine all types of content in slides.
You can share the SlideDog presentation to anyone connected to the Internet in real time.
11) Beautiful AI makes it easy to create clean slides, using the many templates available for all types of content: text, photos, graphs, timelines, images, videos, diagrams, contact information, screenshots and logos.
The system guides the user in design choices to give presentations a coherent appearance.
Beautiful.AI has a free plan with not too many limitations and a Pro plan that is currently still being defined.
12) Emaze a web application in HTML5 that is proposed as an online alternative to a more modern and better Powerpoint.
You can create presentations with even 3D effects, adding slides to images, videos, colors and shapes of all kinds, with excellent graphic quality.
Presentations can not only be saved and shared on the Internet, but can also be included in websites via the embed code and are also visible on mobile phones or tablets.
13) Ludus is another extremely professional quality web application, which can be used for free to create slideshows and slides for publication on the internet.
The result is that of interactive slides with minimalist design, which can compose a story or an advertising poster.
The free plan is limited, but not so much for non-frequent use.
15) Canva.com is one of the best sites to draw graphics and customized images in a simple way, which works a bit like Powerpoint and which, among its options, also includes Presentation mode.
16) Genially is an interesting site that allows you to create presentations and slides for free without limit in the number.
You can create presentations with text and images, video presentations and then also infographics and other types of multimedia projects.