It is possible to have a different nickname for Discord servers, a unique feature that allows the user to identify himself as he sees fit. Thus, you can have a more formal name on a business channel and a nickname on a game server. See how to have different names for Discord servers with different themes.
How to have different names for Discord servers
Discord has a series of customization options, including a very interesting one, which is to use a nickname for each server that the user is part of.
However, there are some caveats: any user can click on the profile name and view the real name and, if the server administrator turns off the command to change the nickname for the position in which the user is located, it will not be possible to change it.
At the same time, Discord continues to connect the user with the name changed to being the original name. Thus, it is possible to refer to a user by the original at sign, even if he has changed the nickname. The software will do the list in the same way.
To use different names on Discord servers, do the following:
- Open Discord and access the desired server;
- Click the arrow (desktop) or touch the three dots (mobile) next to the server name;
- Click or tap “Change nickname”;
- Enter the new nickname and click “Save”;
- Repeat the steps for each server that wants to use different nicknames.
How to prevent users from using different names (admin)
Discord server administrators can turn off the option that allows certain users to change their nicknames, forcing them to communicate only with their original nicknames.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Discord and click/tap the arrow/three dots next to the server name;
- Click or tap on “Server Settings”;
- Click or tap on “Positions” and select the position you want to change;
- Turn off the “Change nickname” key.
By default, the position “Everyone” (the basic user) is not allowed to change nicknames, while in “Members” the option is on. Finally, the position equivalent to the administrator has the “Manage nicknames” option turned on, which grants the power to change nicknames. However, it only works if it is turned on by the admin.
In any case, the administrator can change these assignments freely.