After the LG G5 was officially released, the official bootloader unlocking tool was released. Our guide will show you how to unlock LG G5 Bootloader using the official method prescribed by the company. Once you unlock the bootloader, you will be able to flash custom recovery, ROM and even get root permissions on the new device. It is important to note that the following guide supports LG G5 variant H850 and if you have any other model, this guide could not work.
If you continue reading, we will guide you on how to unlock Bootloader LG G5 for installing custom ROMs, custom recovery or doing anything else on your phone (the most important of all is to get root permissions on LG G5). Just to be clear, unlocking the bootloader will erase all phone data. So make sure you back up all the data on your device.
Download LG G5 USB Driver
To unlock LG G5 Bootloader you will need to connect your phone to your computer. To do this, it is important to have the LG G5 USB drivers installed correctly on your computer. If you have not done so, you can download the latest drivers in the USB Driver section of the official LG website.
It is always a good idea to back up important data that may be needed after installing a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup because unlocking the bootloader involves formatting the internal memory of the device.
Some tips to keep in mind:
- Do you have problems connecting your Android phone to your computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode on your phone. To do so, go to Settings > Phone Info > Software Information and click on the build number until you see the text Now you are a developer. Go back to the Settings menu and under Developer options enable the USB debug entry.
- Make sure your Android device battery is charged at 80-85%. Because, if the phone suddenly switches off during the process, you could cause damage permanently.
- [Important] Copy all backup files from internal memory to the computer because the internal memory will be cleaned up while unlocking the bootloader.
Now, let’s proceed with the guide to unlock the Bootloader on LG G5.
How to unlock Bootloader LG G5
We have created a detailed guide with step-by-step instructions on how to unlock the LG G5 Bootloader. If you are used to unlocking bootloaders on all Nexus devices, then this should not be any different.
Read each line carefully and be sure to read the guide at least once before running it on your Android device.
- This guide for unlocking the bootloader is for LG G5 H850 only. Do not try this procedure on all other phone variants.
- This tutorial was run on Windows, but anyone familiar with Fastboot on Mac or Linux is able to perform this process.
- Be sure to back up all data on your phone before proceeding, as the unlock will delete all data.
- Unblocking the bootloader will invalidate the warranty.
- LG G5 H850
- USB cable
- Android SDK with drivers
Step 1 – Install ABD and Fastboot on your PC following our guide. At the end, you will need to have a folder called android-adb.
Step 2 – Activate the USB debug mode on the G5.
Step 3 – Activate OEM unlock on the phone. Activate the “Enable OEM unlock” option because it is required to unlock the bootloader. To enable OEM unlock, go to Settings >> Developer Options and select “Enable OEM unlock”.
Step 4 – Make sure you have a backup of the data. Connect your LG G5 to your PC.
Step 5 – Go to the android-adb directory you created by following the guide to install ABD and Fastboot, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard, right click inside the folder and select Open command window here. . .
Step 6 – Now enter the bootloader / Fastboot mode on G5. How? Type the following command in the Command Prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 7 – Get the device ID by typing the following command. The result will be similar to the format shown below.
fastboot oem device-id
Example Device ID (PC User) $ fastboot oem device-id
(bootloader ) F93190BD558261DBBC5584E8EF8789B1
Step 8 – Form a single line code from the one you received in the command prompt. As? Remove “(bootloader)” from the sentence and also all spaces so that it looks like this:
Step 9 – Visit the Official LG page to unlock the Bootloader. Scroll down until you see “Start Unlocking”. Log in with your LG account or register if you do not have one. Once you have entered the account, you will be asked for your IMEI and Device ID. We have already extracted the Device ID, now find the IMEI code by typing * # 06 # in the phone’s dialer. (The tool requires only the first 15 digits).
Step 10 – After entering and confirming your Device ID and IMEI an e-mail will be sent to you with the file “unlock.bin“.
Step 11 – Move the unlock.bin file to the android-adb folder. In the Command Prompt, type this command:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 13 – Once you are in fastboot mode, type the following:
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
Step 14 – Manually restart the phone after the flash procedure is completed by typing:
That’s all. The bootloader of the LG G5 is now unlocked. Now you can install a custom recovery, a custom ROM, or make any changes to the system.