Enabling a VPN connection, that is, a virtual private network, can be useful for creating a safer environment when using the Internet for work or even personal use, especially if you are out of business or home (in a mall, airport or any other public place). Are you interested? Then see how to connect in VPN on Windows 10.
Creating a VPN Profile
Before you connect to VPN, you first need to create a profile of this network on your PC. You can do this on your own or create a business account.
If using VPN is for work, the recommendation is to request VPN settings, or an app that offers the service, to your company. If it is personal use, visit the Microsoft Store on your computer and search for a VPN application. Go to the software site in question and see the settings to be made.
1. Click the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen, or press the Windows logo key;
2. Now select Settings (represented by a gear icon);
3. In the window that opens, click Network and Internet, and then VPN;
4. Choose Add a VPN connection;
5. Complete the requirements to create your private connection as follows:
- VPN Provider – Select Windows (internal).
- Connection name – Choose a name you want to identify your connection. Ex: Personal VPN.
- Name or address of the server – Enter the address that the VPN server generated.
- VPN Type – Choose the type of connection you want to create. To do this, you need to verify which VPN is used in your company or in the service you have contracted or downloaded for free.
- Type of input information – This is where you will use a recognition method to access the private network (creating a username and password is optional).
6. With everything set up, click Save.
How to connect to a VPN in Windows 10
After creating your VPN profile, follow the steps below to connect:
- In the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, scroll to the right and click the Network icon;
- In the available network options, select the desired VPN connection, follow the procedures (if applicable), and then click Connect;
- If necessary, enter your username and password or use any other form of identification (QR Code, Token, etc).
As with other networks, once you connect to a VPN, the word Connected will appear below the chosen VPN.