Since you received a digital comic, you are now looking for a guide that explains in detail how to open CBR and CBZ files, depending on the document received. At Teknologya we have created an ad hoc tutorial to reveal how to proceed.
Before specifically discovering the various modes available, we wanted to talk about the formats in question. The CBR and CBZ formats, as reported at the beginning of the article, are mainly used to spread digital comics.
Put simply, they can be compared to a compressed file like the more popular RAR and ZIP because inside they contain a series of images that can be viewed vertically or horizontally, as if you were reading an eBook or a PDF.
How to open CBR and CBZ files with YACReader
If you own a computer, you can open CBR and/or CBZ files using powerful software called YACReader. We are talking about a completely free program and considered by many to be the best in the square to read and organize digital comics on the PC.
The good news is that YACReader is compatible with the main operating systems, namely Windows, macOS and Linux, so you will not have compatibility problems. In addition, an app for iOS is also available.
Having said that, let’s discover together how to use it:
- Open the default browser on your computer (eg Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge ), connect to the download page and then click on the appropriate link under Windows, MacOSX or Linux (eg YACReader xxx for Windows 64bit if you have a 64-bit Windows PC).
- Once the installation is complete, open the YACReader Library program and then press the create your first library button to create your first digital library where you will enter the comics.
- Through the window that appears, fill in the text field corresponding to Library Name and then press on the magnifying glass next to Comics Folder to indicate the position where the CBR and/or CBZ files you want to open are located.
- Confirm the operation by pressing the Create button.
- Once you have successfully created the library, double click on the name of the comic you wish to read through the list at the bottom right of the YACReader window to start reading it and browse it.
How to open CBR and CBZ files with ComicRack
If you have a Windows PC, you can use, as an alternative to YACReader, another free software that provides the user with many features such as the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts or share your personal library. Its name is ComicRack. In addition to this, the program is also available for Android smartphones/tablets ( Free/Pro ) and iOS.
Let’s find out how to use it:
- From the default browser, connect to the download page of ComicRack and press the button Download this in matching ComicRack for Windows xxx.
- Once the installation is completed, start the software, press on the 4 squares at the top right and choose Open File … from the menu that appears. Alternatively, you can also take advantage of the key combination Ctrl + O.
- At this point, using File Explorer in Windows, find the digital comic format in CBR or CBZ you want to open the drop-down menu also by serving 7z Archive (* .7z) present in the lower right to set the correct size.
- After locating the file, double-click on it to open it in ComicRack. Alternatively, you can use the Folders section at the bottom left (next to Library ) to browse through the various folders on your computer and locate the balloon. Once found, double-click on the cover to start reading.
How to open CBR and CBZ files with ComicScreen – ComicViewer
If you have a smartphone or tablet Android, you can open digital comic formats CBR and CBZ using a free application called ComicScreen – ComicViewer. We are faced with a very popular application that is appreciated by users and also allows you to create folders to organize personal files. The free version includes advertisements but can be eliminated by making an in-app purchase at a cost of 2.29 dollars every 6 months or 3.39 dollars per year.
Let’s see how to use the app:
- Grab your Android smartphone or tablet, proceed with downloading the app from the Google Play Store and start it once the installation is complete.
- At this point, press on Device or SD Card (if you have a micro SD inserted in the smartphone) and go to the folder where the CBR or CBZ file you want to open is located.
- Once identified, press us to display it in ComicScreen – ComicViewer. You can browse the various pages of digital comics by simply swiping to the right or left.
How to open CBR and CBZ files with Comic Storm
If you have an iPhone or an iPad, instead, you can use the known Comic Storm application that is offered on the App Store for free. It allows you to download and import comics from the Web, via FTP, iTunes, Web server or from various cloud storage services. In addition to this, it is possible to access a Pro version that eliminates the advertising panels at a cost of 5.49 dollars.
Having said that, let’s discover together how to make the most of it:
- Grab your iDevice, proceed with the download of Comic Storm from the App Store and start it once the installation is complete.
- At this point, click on the Download tab at the bottom and choose the preferred method to find the digital comic in In-Browser, FTP, Web Server, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or iTunes.
- Once you have retrieved the CBR or CBZ file, click on the Library menu at the bottom left and then tap the cover of the comic to open it. Simply swipe to the right or left to browse through it.
How to open CBR and CBZ files: other solutions
In addition to the programs and applications indicated in the last few lines, it is possible to open a digital comic in CBR or CBZ format using alternative solutions that we propose below.
- CDisplay (Windows)
- 7-Zip (Windows)
- The Unarchiver (macOS)
- Perfect Viewer (Android)
- Manga Storm CBR (iOS)