uTorrent is a very powerful program that allows you to download many types of files by simply uploading the torrent file or via magnet link (clicking on the appropriate link will automatically open the software). In today’s guide we will see together how to open uTorrent ports in a simple and fast way to be able to make downloads at maximum speed by correctly configuring the home router.
But Before We Start Be Careful: While Torrenting!
Before we start the guide you need to be careful while torrenting. There are risks in both accessing and downloading from a torrent website. These risks range from advertisements, malware, viruses, to ISP copyright infringement notifications and also government fines. Also, many ISPs significantly lower your download speed once torrenting is detected. I will suggest you use a secure VPN like NordVPN for torrenting to avoid detection by ISP and get good speed.
If you are curious to know more about VPN then check our complete guide on what is VPN and how it works.
Let’s not waste time anymore and immediately go to the point.
- How to find out the port used by uTorrent
- How to access the router administration panel
- How to open uTorrent ports
- How to test uTorrent ports
How to find out the port used by uTorrent
The first step to take before you see how to open uTorrent ports is to find the port that the program uses to accept incoming connections. You can do this by simply using the software itself.
If you use a Windows PC then follow the steps listed below:
- Open uTorrent, click on the Options menu at the top left and choose Settings. Alternatively, you can quickly access the screen by using the CTRL + P key combination.
- Once you have done this, click on Connect and find the port used by uTorrent to connect to the Internet in the field used for the incoming connection.
In case you were in possession of a Mac, instead, refer to the following steps:
- Open uTorrent and click on Preferences above.
- In the next step, click on the Network tab and mark the number in the field next to the TCP port entry.
How to access the router administration panel
Before seeing how to open uTorrent ports, you need to enter the control panel of your router.
To do this, follow the letter below:
- Open the default browser (eg Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
- Once this is done, a screen will appear asking you to enter a username and password in order to access the configuration panel of the network device. Usually you can use admin and admin or admin and password. However, we advise you to take a look at the label on the back of the router or the instruction manual.
In the event that the addresses indicated a while ago do not work, then you can find out the exact one of your router by following some very simple steps.
If you have a Windows PC, right-click on the Wi-Fi icon in the notification bar (next to the clock) and choose Settings Open connection and Internet from the small menu that appears. From the window that opens, click on Change connection properties and find the IP address in the IPv4 DNS Server.
If you use a Mac, instead, go to System Preferences and click on Network. After that, press the name of the connection you are using from the left sidebar and choose Advanced. From here, click on the TCP/IP tab and refer to the Router field to find its address.
How to open uTorrent ports
After following the passages seen a little while ago, at this point we can move on to the main topic of our guide today: how to open uTorrent modem ports. The router must be configured to open the port used by the software to allow it to achieve maximum performance.
As each router model proposes a different administration panel, we will try to be as precise as possible so that the operation can be done quickly and easily. The option to be identified is called port mapping (or port forwarding ). Then you need to create a new rule and set the port used by uTorrent as an internal door and an external door.
To continue, read carefully the steps listed below:
- From the window that opens, click on Add a new IPv4 port mapping that you find under IPv4 port forwarding table.
- After creating the rule, enter the name of the rule that you are creating in the field name, the protocol to use (in this case TCP ) in the protocol, the port number used by uTorrent in WAN port and LAN port and the local IP address the computer you are using in Remote IP Address.
- Once all fields have been filled in correctly, make sure that the switch at the beginning of the rule is ON.
How to test uTorrent ports
After seeing how to open router ports for uTorrent, to make sure that the operation was successful, you can take advantage of a tool integrated into the program.
On Windows PC, do this:
- Start the software, click on the Options menu at the top and choose Configuration Wizard. You can access the same section faster using the CTRL + G key combination.
- From the screen that appears, make sure that the Band and Network options are checked and that the country closest to yours is set in the appropriate menu.
- Finish the procedure by pressing on Start the tests.
On macOS, however, follow the steps below:
- Open uTorrent, click on Settings and click on the Network tab.
- Next to the TCP port entry if there is a green light then it means that the operation was successful.