After putting a nice nest egg aside you decided to buy a PlayStation 4. Once positioned correctly on the sofa next to the TV you have not wasted time starting it and starting to play your favorite game. Now, however, you would like to know how to shut down the PS4 in a complete way since it is also available the sleep mode (which we will talk about later). We at Teknologya have decided to create a guide dedicated to this in which we will show you all the possible ways to turn off the popular Sony console.
- How to turn off the PS4: traditional method
- How to switch off the PS4 via the quick menu
- How to turn off the PS4 from the function screen
- How to turn off the PS4 from smartphones and tablets
- How to use the sleep mode on PlayStation 4
How to turn off the PS4: traditional method
The most classic solution to turn off the PlayStation 4 is to simply press the on/off button for about 7 seconds or until a buzzer sounds. The aforementioned key is located on the front of the console, between the Sony and PS4 logos. If the operation is successful, the message Preparing to switch off the PS4 in progress will appear on the television or monitor display. In addition to this, the white LED indicator on the back of the PS4 will turn off.
How to switch off the PS4 via the quick menu
If you are looking for an alternative to the traditional switch-off via the ON/OFF button, then you can use a special function in the console’s quick menu.
To do this, follow the steps listed below:
- Press the PS button on the joystick and press the Shutdown item from the screen that opens on the TV display.
- At this point, press the X button on the controller and then on the item Turn off the PS4 from the menu that appears on the side.
- Finish the procedure by pressing again on the X button of the Dualshock.
How to turn off the PS4 from the function screen
The third method to completely turn off the PS4 of Sony is to use a feature in the function screen.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Grab the Dualshock controller of Sony and press the button PS placed centrally.
- Now, move to the menu using the arrow keys and press the Off key.
- At this point, from the screen that opens, select Turn off the PS4 by pressing the X key and once again to confirm.
How to turn off the PS4 from smartphones and tablets
Sony offers an application for Android and iOS smartphones/tablets called PS4 Second Screen which allows you to connect your PS4 to the mobile device and use the latter to manage the basic functions of the console, view information on compatible games and more.
PS4 Second Screen can also be used to turn off the PlayStation from your terminal. Let’s see the steps to follow:
- Grab your smartphone or tablet and proceed to download the Sony app from the Google Play Store for Android or the App Store for iOS.
- Once you have completed the download and installation, make sure that both the PlayStation 4 and the device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Switch to the console, go to Settings and then on Mobile app connection settings.
- From the screen that opens, choose Add device to view a code on the screen to use on your smartphone or tablet.
- Now, start the PS4 Second Screen app and press Next to go to the home screen.
- At this point, choose the PlayStation 4 to which you want to connect to control it remotely by tapping on its name and wait for the establishment of the connection.
- In the next step, enter the code on the screen in the appropriate field and confirm by tapping on Save.
- Now, to turn off the PlayStation 4 through the application you simply need to press on the Turn right bottom and confirm by choosing OK.
How to use the sleep mode on PlayStation 4
If you need to download a game, content or updates, you can use the sleep mode that allows the console to remain active to perform some functions (such as those just mentioned). To make the most of this energy-saving mode, you need to access the Settings (accessible by pressing the toolbox at the bottom right of the main menu of the PlayStation 4 software).
After entering, press on Settings for energy saving through the X and set the time of inactivity after which the console must automatically enter the sleep mode.
Sony also allows you to choose which features can remain active during this power saving mode. To choose them just press this time on Set the functions available in the sleep mode that you always find in the Energy saving settings.
Then you just need to apply a check next to Power to USB ports to charge or transmit power to all devices connected to the USB ports of the PlayStation 4 forever or only for 3 hours, Stay connected to the Internet to download games, updates and content while the console is on stand-by or keep the app suspended for hibernating apps and games.