For some days you have noticed that your computer does not offer the same performances as before. For example, the video card gives you problems or fails to recognize connected devices. In this new tutorial today we will explain how to update free PC drivers using various methods depending on whether you have a machine with Windows or macOS on board.
How to update drivers for free on PC with Windows Update
If you have a computer equipped with Windows, the Microsoft operating system, then you can take advantage of the pre-installed tool on all computers: Windows Update. If you have Windows 10, you can check for updates by clicking on the gear icon in the Start menu to open the Settings. Alternatively, use the keyboard shortcut Win + I.
At this point, via the screen that appears, click on Update and security and then click on Check for updates to see if there are new updates available. If successful, wait for the installation to complete and, if required, restart the PC.
If, on the other hand, you have a previous version of the Redmond’s operating system, then type the word windows update in the Start menu search field and then click on the appropriate result. At this point, all you have to do is wait for the end of the scan and proceed with the installation. If desired, you can press the appropriate button to start the search manually.
How to update drivers for free on PC with Device Manager
In case you are still experiencing problems with a component or a connected device, you can rely on Device Manager. It is a tool integrated into Windows that allows you, in fact, to see and manage all the devices connected to the computer.
Let’s find out how to use the utility:
- Click with the right mouse button on the Start icon at the bottom left and choose Device Manager from the menu that appears.
- At this point, select the hardware component for which you want to look for the presence of a new update and right-click with the mouse on one of the devices that appeared in the menu below (after pressing the arrow pointing to the right ).
- Using the menu displayed, choose Update driver software and then click on Automatically search for an updated driver. Windows will proceed with the Internet search for a more updated version of the driver for the selected component. In case of a positive result, the download will be carried out first and then the installation without doing anything else otherwise a message will be shown that tells you that the latest version of the driver is already installed.
How to update drivers for free on PC with Easy Driver
If the tools provided by Windows have not had any success, then in this case we suggest you rely on a free third-party program called Driver Easy. The main function of this software is to analyze all the drivers installed on the computer and search for any new updates available. In case of a positive result, it will be enough to proceed with the download and installation with a few simple clicks.
Having said that, let’s see together how to make the most of it:
- Open the default browser on your PC (ie. Chrome, Firefox or Edge ), connect to the Internet site of Driver Easy and proceed with the download by pressing the green button Download Now.
- Once the installation is complete, you can proceed with the scan by clicking on the Scan Now button.
- After waiting a few minutes for the check, the software shows you the result of the analysis. The number of devices that need a driver update is shown in red.
- At this point, to proceed with the update, you can either operate on each individual driver by pressing the Update button or proceed with the complete update by choosing Update All. If you want, you can see more information on each update by choosing the View information item from the menu that appears after pressing the down arrow next to Refresh. You can also hide an update by choosing Hide this update from the same menu instead.
- Through the screen that appears, Driver Easy advises you to create a restore point of the operating system so that you can restore the OS in case of problems after the update. Choose the option Create automatically (recommended) and press Continue to continue or alternatively opt for Create manually if you want to create it manually using the tool in Windows (if you do not know how to do it, follow our guide how to create a restore point ). The first function is only accessible by purchasing the Pro version of the program (from the starting cost of $29.95 for 1 year). By activating the option Do not remember me next time, however, you can disable the display of this message for future driver updates.
- Once the driver has been downloaded and installed, you’re done.
How to update drivers for free on Mac using the Mac App Store
If you have a Mac, you can update your drivers completely for free using the Mac App Store, which is the market where you can download applications, games, updates and much more.
Let’s see together how to proceed:
- From the Desk of MacOS, click the Apple logo present on the top left and choose App Store from the menu that appears.
- Through the window that opens, locate the Updates tab at the top right and click on it to open it.
- At this point, the operating system will automatically search for any driver updates. At the end, if new updates appear, then press the Update button next to each update to proceed with the download and the subsequent installation. Otherwise, you won’t have to do anything else.
How to update drivers for free on Mac via Apple website
As an alternative to the Mac App Store, always on Mac, you can take advantage of Apple’s official website and in particular the Download section where you can find lots of useful links.
All you have to do is connect to the web page in question using a browser like Safari and then use the series of icons below under Browse by product to select the Apple product of your interest. Alternatively, use the Search download field to find something specific.
Once you have identified the driver/software to download, simply click on the Download link. When the download is complete, follow the guidelines to proceed with the installation.