Buying, winning and collecting Gwent’s cards in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is perhaps the most hairy mission in the game, as it is very easy to screw up and miss the chance to get exclusive cards, which are only found at specific times. In this guide, you will learn everything you need to do to get your hands on them all.
Where to buy Gwent cards in The Witcher 3
One of the most difficult missions in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is “Collect All”, which consists of getting all of Gwent’s cards, because it is very easy to lose track of which cards are still missing. In addition, 11 of them can only be won at specific times in the game and, if you falter, you will lose them forever.
There are three ways to get letters from Gwent:
- Buying them from merchants, taverns, herbalists, blacksmiths and gunsmiths;
- Defeating an opponent in a match;
- Performing specific Gwent missions.
Keep in mind that every defeated NPC will give you a random card, but only the first time you beat it, and that there are a number of cards that can only be achieved by defeating enemies on Gwent. Once you get them you won’t win them again. Therefore, it is a finite method. If at a certain point you fail to win winning cards, you have exhausted the method.
In addition, some Gwent missions can be accomplished by defeating NPCs, or by taking notice on the murals. Losing a match does not result in punishment, except for the tournament in Passiflora, which must be won. So leave it last in the game (and save your progress first), as you will already have almost all cards, including the most powerful ones.
1. Buy letters from Gwent
These are the places where you can buy Gwent cards in The Witcher 3:
- Pomar Branco: Taverneira and merchant (what you save from the griffin at the beginning of the game);
- Velen: Tavernkeeper at Estalagem of Encruzilhada, merchant and foreman at Perch of Corvo, merchant in Centrobosque, merchant in Arginas, merchant in Lindenvale;
- Novigard: Marquise Serenity (tavernkeeper) in Passiflora, tavernkeeper in Golden Sturgeon, merchant in Taverna Sete Gatos, Taverneiro in P****** of Gansa;
- Oxenfurt: Stjepan (innkeeper);
- Skellige: Tavern keeper in the port of Kaer Trolde, tavern keeper in Urialla, tavern keeper in An Skellig, tavern keeper in Arinbjorn, tavern keeper in Svorlag, tavern keeper in Harviken;
- Can be lost: Olivier (tavernkeeper) at the Tavern Rei of Pesca, in Novigrad (play Gwent with him before starting the “Now or Never” mission).
2. Complete Gwent missions
Some cards can only be obtained on missions, facing specific enemies, but even if you lose, you can get them in another way.
Some missions can only be performed at certain times, otherwise the cards will be lost forever.
- Gwent: Playing against Tavernkeepers: You get it after the tutorial in Pomar Branco. Complete it before starting the “Now or Never” mission;
- Gwent: Velen players: Check the mural on the Raven’s Perch in Velen to receive the mission, and defeat all opponents marked on the map.
If Baron Phillip Strenger (the Bloody Baron) leaves town before you face him, search his room after the mission related to him, to find Gwent’s letter and a hint about the next opponent;
- Gwent: Big City Players: Play Gwent with Vimme Vivaldi, the dwarf banker from Novigrad to receive this mission, or check the murals.
Defeat all opponents to complete the mission, which must be done before “Reason for State”;
- Gwent: Old Friends: Challenge Zoltan Chivay or Vernon Roche to start this mission, which must be carried out before “The Battle of Kaer Morhen” and “Reason for State”;
- Gwent: Skellige style: Challenge Crach an Craite or Myszowór (Ermine or Mousesach) to fire the mission. Defeat all opponents (Gremist can only be faced after the “Stage in Advanced Alchemy” mission) before the “Final Preparations” mission;
- Gwent: A Matter of Life or Death: Depending on which DLC you have installed, the only way to get Jaskier’s (Dandelion) card, among others, is to win the three optional games in this mission;
- Nobleman of Nilfgaard: This mission is not related, but the nobleman in the palace has an exclusive card. You can face it whenever you want;
- A Dangerous Game: Complete this mission for Zoltan Chivay and you will receive three exclusive cards. When the game asks, don’t sell them;
- Shock Therapy: Complete the mission and win an exclusive card;
- High Bets: This mission must be left last, and save your progress before starting it. It becomes available as soon as you arrive in Novigrad, but 1,000 crowns and a tournament deck are required. Build your deck with the most powerful cards and win the tournament, which is not easy. If you lose, load the save and try again (have more than one save file, just in case).
3. Play Gwent against NPCs
The rest of the cards are won from NPCs, and the rules are as follows:
- You don’t risk losing cards. If you lose, try again;
- It is only possible to win one card per opponent;
- The letter you will receive is random;
- There are more opponents than cards available, so if after a while you don’t receive any more cards, the method is exhausted.
By following these tips, you will get all of Gwent’s cards.
Just want the card game?
Try GWENT: The Witcher Card Game
If you just want to enjoy Gwent’s experience and play against other people, as in other CCDs (Collectible Card Games ), try GWENT: The Witcher Card Game, which is free with in-app purchases, available for Windows ( playgwent.com ) and iPhone ( apps.apple.com ). There are also versions for PS4 and Xbox One, but according to the developer CD Projekt Red, both will be shut down soon.