Do you have an Android product smartphone? You’re waiting for the arrival of Android 9 Pie on your smartphone , but you do not know when it will arrive?
Here is the guide that’s right for you!
Today I will tell you in fact which Android phones will receive the update to Android 9 Pie and when they will receive it.
When will Android 9 Pie be released for everyone?
Good question, pity that, as always, in the Android world there is uncertainty regarding the release of software updates and firmware for phones.
Although Android 9 Pie was released by Google in STABLE version and final in August 2018, very few companies have already updated their smartphones.
Many are testing in BETA Android 9 Pie, but many others have no idea when the updates will be released.
And of course users are asking questions, they want to know when they will be able to update their smartphone to Android 9 Pie and above all they can do it, as companies often “forget” to update older devices.
If you are trying to understand when and if your phone will be updated to Android 9 Pie, in this article we will try to clarify.
Obviously the guide can not take into account all the Android phones on the market, also because they are so many and, also because of the fragmentation of Android, keeping them all under control is really impossible.
But we will try to consider the most interesting and best selling Android smartphones, or at least those made by the major manufacturers for Android.
But let’s not waste time and see immediately which Android phones will be updated to the latest version of the Google operating system in the coming months.
It seems obvious to say, but the list will be continuously updated and new smartphones could be added to those already present. If your Android phone is not on the list of those that will be updated to Android 9 Pie, do not despair: it could be added soon.
But now let’s see the complete list.
NOTE: in principle ALL Android One smartphones on the market will be updated to Android 9 Pie soon.
Android 9 Pie for which Samsung smartphone
- Galaxy S9 (confirmed by the company)
- Galaxy S9 Plus (confirmed by the company)
- Galaxy Note 9 (confirmed by the company)
- Galaxy S8
- Galaxy S8 +
- Galaxy Note 8
- Galaxy Tab S3
- Galaxy A8 2018
- Galaxy A8 Plus 2018
- Galaxy A6
- Galaxy A6 Plus
- Galaxy J8 2018
- Galaxy J6 2018
- Galaxy J4 2018
Samsung is the slowest to release updates for their smartphones.
At the moment we know that Android 9 Pie is already being tested for the S9 range , but we have no idea when the final update will be released. Usually Samsung updates the top of the range at the beginning of the year, while the less powerful and recent updates them only half year, always with biblical times.
However, the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge should remain out of the list, now too old to support this update.
Only the recent Galaxy Tab S4 arrived on the market with the latest version of the green robot.
Android 9 Pie for which Huawei smartphone – Honor
- P20 Pro (confirmed by the company)
- P20 (confirmed by the company)
- P20 Lite
- Mate 10 Pro (confirmed by the company)
- Mate 10
- Nova 3
- P Smart Plus
- Honor 10 (confirmed by the company)
- Honor Note 10
- Honor V10 (confirmed by the company)
- Honor 9 (in beta testing)
- MediaPad M5 Pro
- MediaPad M5
- MediaPad M5 Lite
I would also like to add that all the smartphones presented with Oreo this year (Honor View 10 lite, Honor Play , Honor 8x, etc.), will surely receive the update.
Honor and Huawei are much more active and faster than Samsung in releasing updates.
Mate 20 Pro already mounts Android 9 Pie, everyone else is already testing Android 9 Pie in beta and the final version should get very short for everyone.
There are some doubts about the MediaPad M5 tablet regarding the update to Android 9 Pie, but we’ll see.
Upgrade side, however, Honor and Huawei are increasingly a guarantee.
Android 9 Pie for which Xiaomi smartphone
Of Xiaomi and Android 9 Pie we have already spoken in a dedicated article, which you can read at the following link:
In short, however, these Xiaomi smartphones will be updated to Android 9:
- Xiaomi Mi 8 SE
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro
- Xiaomi Mi Max 3
Android 9 Pie for which Nokia smartphones
- Nokia 8 (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 8 Sirocco (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 3 (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 3.1 (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 5 (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 5.1 (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 6 (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 6.1 (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 6.1 Plus (confirmed by the company)
- Nokia 7 Plus (confirmed by the company)
Nokia produces smartphones based on Android One, updated almost directly by Google. This means that almost all of the company’s latest smartphones will receive Android 9 Pie very soon.
Even Nokia, as regards software and firmware updates, is a guarantee.
Android 9 Pie for which OnePlus smartphone
- OnePlus 6 (already updated)
- OnePlus 5T (confirmed by the company)
- OnePlus 5 (confirmed by the company)
- OnePlus 3T (confirmed by the company)
- OnePlus 3 (confirmed by the company)
OnePlus smartphones do not mount Android One, but they are always the first to be updated to new versions of Android.
OnePlus 6 has already been updated to Android 9 Pie, all the others will be updated soon.
OnePlus 6T obviously will already mount Android 9 Pie natively.
Android 9 Pie for which Sony smartphone
- Sony Xperia XZ1 (confirmed by the company from the end of October)
- Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (confirmed by the company from the end of October)
- Sony Xperia XZ2 (confirmed by the company)
- Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (confirmed by the company)
- Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium (confirmed by the company since November)
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium (confirmed by the company from the end of October)
- Sony Xperia XA2 (confirmed by the company since March)
- Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra (confirmed by the company since March)
- Sony Xperia XA2 Plus (confirmed by the company since March)
Even Sony is a guarantee for updates and is always among the first to release new firmware for their smartphones.
Some have already been updated to Android 9 Pie, others will be updated in the coming months.
Android 9 Pie for which Motorola – Lenovo smartphone
- Moto Z3 (confirmed by the company)
- Moto Z3 Play (confirmed by the company)
- Moto Z2 Play (confirmed by the company)
- Moto Z2 Force Edition (confirmed by the company)
- Moto G6 (confirmed by the company)
- Moto G6 Plus (confirmed by the company)
- Moto G6 Play (confirmed by the company)
- Moto X4 (confirmed by the company)
- Moto E5 Play (confirmed by the company)
- MotorolaOne (confirmed by the company)
- Lenovo Z5
- Lenovo S5
Motorola is always a bit slow in the release of updates, but, even if with its timing, update its devices.
However, Motorola has officially announced that many smartphones will receive this update in the coming months (we do not know when).
Z5 and S5 should still receive Android 9 Pie without major problems even if the update has not yet been confirmed by the company.
Android 9 Pie for which ASUS smartphones
- ASUS ZenFone 5Z
- ASUS ZenFone 5
- ASUS ZenFone 5 Lite
- ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1
- ASUS ROG Phone
As for ASUS, uncertainty still reigns.
The Taiwanese company has not released a precise roadmap, so we have included in the list the models that, except for special situations, should almost certainly receive Android 9 Pie.
We do not know when the updates will come because, as always, Asus is slow and unclear (and thank goodness that it had promised fast updates ..).
Android 9 Pie for which LG smartphone
- LG G7 ThinQ (confirmed by the company)
- LG V30 (confirmed by the company)
- LG V35 ThinQ (confirmed by the company)
- LG Q8 (2018)
- LG Q7
- LG K8 (2018)
- LG K10 (2018)
- LG G6
Even LG is very slow in the release of updates. These on the list are the devices that should receive Android 9 Pie, but we have no official confirmation on all.
We do not even know when the aforementioned updates will arrive. We only know that LG is very slow in updating its devices.
Android 9 Pie for which HTC smartphone
- HTC U12 Plus
- HTC U12 Life
- HTC U11
- HTC U11 Plus
- HTC U11 Life
Even in this case, everything is silent from the company. The models listed are those that will probably be updated to Android 9, but we have no certainties. Moreover, it is not excluded that the list can be extended.
Android 9 Pie for which Google Pixel smartphone
All Google Pixel smartphones are already updated to Android 9 Pie.
Android 9 Pie for which BQ smartphone
All these models have been confirmed by the company:
- Aquaris X2 Pro
- Aquaris X2
- Aquaris X Pro
- Aquaris X
- Aquaris U2
- Aquaris U2 Lite
- Aquaris V
- Aquaris V Plus
- Aquaris VS
- Aquaris VS Plus
Android 9 Pie on these smartphones – conclusions
As already anticipated, we will continue to constantly update this article in case of news.
What’s new in Android 9 Pie
The news of Android 9 Pie are so many.
The most striking, at least at the media level, is undoubtedly the support to the notch, ie the notch in the navigation bar and, of course, status; in practice now the icons in the status bar are organized automatically and intelligently and the quick toggle, as well as other parts of the system, adapt if the smartphone is notch.
Of note, always on a graphic and aesthetic level, that with Android 9 Pie the notification curtain, the quick toggle, the system pop-up windows and the settingsmenus have a new look with rounded corners and bright colors and are smart, in way to adapt to the status and system changes.
Finally it is also possible :
- choose in advance what the system should do when inserting a cable into the USB port
- edit screenshots just acquired
- interact with applications through the multi-tasking screen so you can copy and share text, share content and perform other tasks without having to access the full-screen application
Also new for the Ambient Display , which now shows the percentage of remaining charge.
The quick toggle and WiFi settings show more information than before and the night mode quick toggle shows the activity time. Always the quick toggles are now organized on horizontal pages, they are no longer expandable and show on the upper part the state of the alarm and the system sounds (silent, vibration, etc.).
The orange color of the status bar and navigation bar disappeared when energy saving was activated.
In the menu to change the color temperature profile of the display there is an image useful to show in real time the performance of the display when the profile changes.
The Adaptive Battery promises to decrease consumption and increase the autonomy and the whole is managed by artificial intelligence.
Actions and Slices allow third-party developers to use new parts of the system for their applications.
The notifications are smart and able to adapt more and more to the needs of the user: they offer greater personalization and a minimal but clearly visible look.
Dashboard , App Timer , Wind Down, Digital Wellbeing and Sush are 5 features with which Google wants to limit the use of the smartphone and reduce the dependence, acting on notifications, applications, night mode and other parameters and providing a comprehensive summary of the time spent at use the smartphone.
A new option allows you to activate the silent or vibration at any time by pressing the volume up and on / off keys together.
The Google Pixel Launcher supports rotation lock, via a new option, and Actions , which allow developers to propose shortcuts for applications via artificial intelligence.
Also present a new menu to the long press in the homescreen.
The night mode , which can be activated in the settings for developers, allows you to activate a mode of use for the night and the do not disturb mode hides the notifications in the drop-down menu.
The at a glance widget expands and arrives in the lock screen, where it now shows the date, time and weather forecast.
The gestures try to improve and simplify the interaction with the smartphone: once activated by the settings give the possibility to use the smartphone without the navigation bar and then to move between the menus, applications, features and, in general, between the whole system by gestures on the bottom of the display.
Then there are:
- new system animations
- a new recharge sound
- a new default background
- support for Android Auto Wireless and the Vulkan 1.1 API
- various other small graphic touches here and there
- improvements to autonomy and system performance and applications
- full support for HDR technology
- improvements to security and privacy
- various other minor news, including on developers and APIs and other parts of the system
In addition, the persistent notification was removed and appeared whenever an application was running and then consumed energy by impacting the battery.
And clearly there is a new easter egg.