In Windows 10 you can set up parental control in the so-called “Family Safety” from Microsoft. This allows you to determine which people are allowed to use the computer, view reports of children’s online activity, and set time limits on how to use the computer. How to enable Parental Control in Windows 10.
Activate parental control in Windows 10
First, you need to create a new user account for the child as follows:
- Press the key combination Windows + i to open the settings.
- Navigates to Accounts> Family and other users.
- Click Add family member and select Add child.
- Enter an e-mail address. If the child does not have their own e-mail address yet, click below on “The person I want to add does not have an e-mail address” and set one up. Log in to the e-mail account and confirm the link from the e-mail you received.
- After that, the child can log in with the e-mail address and password in Windows 10.
Next, you can set how long the child is allowed to use the computer or which web pages are blocked. You can also keep track of the child’s activities.
You should not use such passwords for a new e-mail account:
The 100 dumbest passwords of the last year: Congratulations!
Windows 10: Adapt minors
- To customize Parental Control in Windows 10, open the menu “Family and other users” as described above.
- Click on the new menu item “Manage Family Settings Online“.
- Now you will be redirected to the microsoft.com/family website, where you will find the following child protection options.
- Recent Activities: Receive reports on the child’s recent activities on the computer. You can see which websites visited, which apps and games were played and how much time the child has spent on the computer. You can receive a weekly activity report by e-mail.
- Web Browsing: Determines approved which websites and which are blocked.
- Apps and Games: Determines which apps and games are allowed. Selects whether the child is allowed to download games under a certain age rating.
- Computer Time: Sets a time limit on how long the child can use the computer.
To activate an option, click on “Turn on blocking” and set the switch to “On“. In submenus you can still specify the settings.