How to add a second face on Face ID of iOS 12 to unlock iPhone with the face. Register two faces on the iPhone Face ID
How to add two faces on Face ID iOS 12
Today we will talk about iPhone, iPad and iOS 12 in general. In this guide we will see how to configure a second face on Face ID in iOS 12 to be able to unlock your iPhone by two.
This is a very useful feature, long requested by users, and finally arrives with iOS 12. In this way you can use 2 different faces to unlock the smartphone. So let’s see how to proceed.
iOS 12 allows you to record more than one face on the iPhone’s Face ID
If you already own an iPhone, you’ll know that among the main criticisms of the Face ID of the iPhone X, the most famous one is the possibility of inserting only one user’s face.
Fortunately, however, with iOS 12, Apple is running for cover and has introduced the ability to add a second face to the Face ID, so you can unlock iPhone X, XS, XS Max and iPhone XR in two.
A little ‘as it was with the Touch ID, when you could record several fingerprints, now the Face ID also offers a second data slot to help the user to unlock the device maybe when his look or face is very different than the usual (for example when you have sunglasses or other ..).
In fact, from my point of view, this possibility is very useful when you need to recognize two different people with the Face ID of your iPhone and then when you want to allow another person to unlock your smartphone through face recognition.
And below, as promised, I’ll explain how to add two faces to the iPhone Face ID.
IMPORTANT: the only, big difference compared to the Touch ID is the management of the second face, which is joined to the first and can not be removed by itself. In fact, to remove it, a full reset of the Face ID must be performed.
That said, we can proceed with the guide.
- First of all you need to click on Settings> Face ID.
- At this point it is necessary to distinguish the hypothesis in which you have already activated the unlock on a face, or the case in which the Face ID has never been configured.
- In the first case (if you have never configured Face ID), you will see the writing in blue “Configure Face ID”. Otherwise, if a face is already registered, you will see the words “Configure an alternative aspect”.
- Depending on the case, you will have to click on one or the other word, even if the process for inserting the face is identical.
- If you first click “Configure Face ID”, you will be asked to frame the face and rotate it twice. Once the video recording process is finished, the message “You have configured Face ID” will appear.
- After adding the first face, the item Configure an alternative appearance will appear in the Settings-> Face ID menu.
- Clicking on this option will start a second Face ID configuration, identical to the first one just described.
- You can then insert a second face to unlock your device.
- At the moment it is not possible to configure a third face on Face ID to unlock iPhone.
Here we are, we have concluded with this guide.
Finally, Apple has introduced for everyone the possibility to record 2 different faces on Face ID. In this way, for example, both you and your wife/girlfriend/partner can easily unlock the iPhone framing the face.
NOTE: the described use of the functionality in question clearly reduces the privacy of the device, even if it allows those who need it to have a secondary face for the use of the device. Great if the iPhone is shared and is used by two different people, perhaps in the family or in the workplace.
In case of doubts or questions, leave a comment at the end of the article and we will help you as soon as possible.