Today we are going to introduce an interesting tool born on XDA that offers the ability to unlock your Windows PC using the fingerprint sensor on your Android smartphone, in line with what is offered by Samsung Flow on the South Korean company’s devices.
The tool is called Remote Fingerprint Unlock and consists of an app for the Android device and a second one to install on the Windows PC. Below we present the complete procedure:
- Install the app on the Android device, downloadable from the Play Store
- Install the relevant application on the Windows PC, which can be downloaded from this address
- Open the Android app, start the PC detection procedure and select your own
- Assign a name to your PC and send a Wake-on-LAN package (if you have the Pro version)
- Open the “Account” section of the Android app and add the profile using the credentials for your Windows PC
- Tap on the account name you just created to make it the default
- Try to unlock your Windows PC using your smartphone, by accessing the “Unlock” section
The tool supports Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 and all Android devices with Android 6.0 or higher. There are two variations of the app, one free and the other Pro which costs $1.99 (purchased through purchase-in-app), which offers the absence of advertisements, additional features on both platforms and support Wake-on-LAN.
Regarding the security issue, the developer claimed to have spent 40% of development time improving the reliability of the instrument, using the TLS (SSL) security protocol. For further information, we suggest that you consult the official dedicated thread on the XDA forum, through which you can address any questions you may have to the developer.