The Apple TV breaks a limit if you want to have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and other streaming applications in an old TV set. But it can be a little tinkering with the settings using the original control and some tips make it easier.
1. Connect a Bluetooth keyboard to the Apple TV
To get started, connect a Bluetooth keyboard to the Apple TV. This allows you to set aside the remote control. You can use directional keys to navigate the menus, Space to play or pause, “Enter” to select items, and “Esc” to go back.
- Access the Apple TV menu under “Settings”;
- Under “General”, choose Bluetooth;
- Apple TV will search for nearby Bluetooth accessories;
- Choose your keyboard and, if prompted, enter a four-digit code or PIN.
On Apple TV, the accessory should now appear under “Devices”. Do not forget to turn on and leave the keyboard visible and available for Apple TV (it can not be in use in another).
2. Use more than one Bluetooth accessory (headphones)
On 4K or Apple TV 4th generation it is possible to use various Bluetooth accessories.
- A Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote;
- One Bluetooth keyboard;
- Four Bluetooth MFi game controls (made for iOS) *
- Bluetooth headphones (including AirPods)
* Except if you also connect a Bluetooth audio accessory.
In this case, you can connect only one MFi control.
3. Use an alternate remote control
If you’ve lost control of Apple or want to use a single universal all-in-one remote, you can use the Apple Remote TV app, iOS Control Center (on iPhone or iPad), or any infrared control you have in your House.
4. Use AirPlay to mirror the iPhone or Mac screen
You can use AirPlay to watch on Apple TV everything on the screen of another Apple device: stream YouTube videos, share photos on your TV screen, or mirror what is on your computer screen. The feature works if everything is connected on the same Wi-Fi network. When it is compatible, the icon will appear.
On iPhone or iPad
- Find the video you want to stream through AirPlay to Apple TV;
- Touch the AirPlay icon (in some apps the path may be different);
- In Photos apps, touch the share icon and AirPlay;
- Select Apple TV.
- iOS device and Apple TV must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
You can also use the TV as the second screen of the Mac. Just select “Use as a Second Screen”. To stop or stop using the TV as a screen, simply turn it off.
- On the Mac, click the AirPlay icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen;
- If you do not find it, go to the Apple menu> System Preferences> Monitors and check “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available”;
- Select Apple TV. Mac and Apple TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network;
- If an AirPlay access code appears on your TV screen, insert it on your Mac.
5. Install applications automatically on Apple TV *
Just as when you install an application on your iPhone it can be installed automatically on your iPad, you can have your new applications installed on your smartphone or tablet automatically downloaded to the Apple TV.
This will work as long as there is a version for Apple TV in the same app, of course.
- Access the Apple TV settings in “Settings”;
- Under “Applications,” click “Install applications automatically” to activate.
*Apple TV 4K or 4th generation.