If you just bought a pair of AirPods, the Apple wireless headsets, or are interested in investing in them, this list of tips can help you. Learn how to get the most out of the accessory and discover some things you may not know.
1.How to connect AirPods to iPhone
The process of pairing AirPods with your iPhone takes three seconds. Just open the case, wait for the warning on the phone, tap “Connect” and start using.
- Go to the iOS Home screen;
- Open the case that contains the AirPods and hold it close to the iPhone;
- A configuration animation will be displayed on the iPhone;
- Tap “Connect” and “OK”;
If you’re logged in to iCloud, AirPods will automatically be set up with any compatible device connected to your iCloud (with the same Apple ID). You can repeat these same steps on the rest of your Apple devices, such as your MacBook, iMac, or iPad, with your iPhone iCloud account.
You may have noticed a small button on the back of the case. You will use it to connect AirPods to the Mac (in case of errors), an Android phone or any other device that does not work with the Apple W1 chip, such as the iPhone.
Immediate compatibility happens on the following Apple devices:
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 10+
- Apple Watch, with watchOS 3 or later
- Apple TV, with TVOS 11 or later
- Mac, with MacOS Sierra or later
2.Connecting the AirPods to the Mac (iMac, Macbook …)
If you’ve already connected your wireless headsets to your iPhone (iOS), and your Mac (macOS) is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID, AirPods will be ready to use. Put it on your ears and click the Bluetooth icon in the Mac’s menu bar. Then just pick the Apple phone from the list of found devices.
If the AirPods do not appear in the macOS menu:
- Select “System Preferences” from the menu and click on Bluetooth;
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled;
- Put the headset in the charging case and open the cover;
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light blinks white;
- Select the AirPods from the list of devices and click “Connect”.
3. How to connect AirPods to Android and other “non-Apple”
You can use them with devices from other brands, including Android phones (!).
AirPods, just like any Bluetooth headset, will work as expected. Note that you can not use Siri, but you can listen to music, call and talk.
- Access the Bluetooth settings and verify that the connection is enabled;
- For an Android smartphone: Go to Settings> Connections> Bluetooth.
- Put the headset in the charging case and open the cover;
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light blinks white.
- Select AirPods when they appear in the list of Bluetooth devices.
4.How to Listen to Music with AirPods
Keep in mind that by using Apple wireless headphones on a non-Apple product, they lose some of their magic. See what it can do.
- When you remove the case, they are already attached and ready for use;
- When you put it in the ear, they automatically play iPhone audio;
- If you remove an AirPod from the ear, audio will be paused;
- If you take both, the audio will be interrupted;
- AirPods can connect to iPhone and Apple Watch at the same time;
How to choose to listen on AirPods if you already have different headsets or speakers paired on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac:
- Open Control Center;
- Press firmly or tap and hold the audio card in the upper right corner;
- Touch the “Sound” icon and choose the desired device from the list (the AirPods).
- On the menu bar, click the audio icon 🔊;
- Under “Output Device,” choose AirPods or speakers.
5.Follow the name of the AirPods
You can rename AirPods and have them appear with another ID. It can be useful in case there are more than one pair in your house or at work. Or if you do not want anyone to know that you have one of these.
6. Find your lost AirPods pair
You can use Find My iPhone to find lost AirPods out there, as long as the app has already been configured on the iPhone. Note that Search for iPhone is only capable of locating Apple wireless headphones if they are outside the case or with the cover open. Inside the enclosed case, even connected, does not work.
7. How to Double-tap AirPods
When you are using AirPod, two quick, firm touches on the outside of one of them serve to answer a call or hang up. Each AirPod (left or right) can also perform one of the specific actions if configured.
- Activate Siri
- Play and pause audio
- Move to next track
- Back to previous track
- Turn off audio content
You can choose what happens when you double-tap each AirPod.
- Open the AirPod case, and then go to Settings> Bluetooth on iOS;
- Touch the “Info” icon next to the AirPods in the list of devices;
- Select the right or left AirPod on the Bluetooth screen;
- Choose what you want to happen when you double-tap AirPod.
On the Mac, with AirPods connected, go to System Preferences> Bluetooth. Click Options next to AirPods and use the dual-touch adjustment drop-down menu.
8. How to use Siri with AirPods
You can use Siri to control AirPods, ask questions and phone calls.
You can ask for the following things:
Hey, Siri …
- Play my favorite playlist.
- Turn up the volume.
- How do I get home from here?
- Skip to the next song.
- Pause the music.
- How’s the AirPods battery?
If double tapping to activate Siri does not work:
- Go to Settings> Siri and Search;
- Make sure that “Allow When locked” is enabled
9. Control Auto Detect
It is standard:
AirPods feel when they are in the ear and receive audio from your iPhone automatically and also pause and resume (⏯️) playback when you remove one of them or stop playback altogether (⏹️) when you remove both.
When “Use Automatic Detection” is enabled, and you are not using AirPods, the audio will be played through the speakers. But when you turn off “Use Automatic Detection” the audio tracks on the earphones even outside the ear.
How to disable?
On the same Bluetooth “Settings” screen, turn off the power switch for this feature (leave it gray).
10. Adjust the microphones
The AirPods is a featured product as a headset but there is a microphone in each of them so you can make phone calls and use Siri. By default, these two microphones are set to “Automatic” so that any of the headphones (left or right) can function as a microphone, even if you are using only one.
You can set the microphone to “Always on the Left” or “Always on the Right” in the Bluetooth “Settings” screen. This sets the microphone always to one side only, be it right or left. This will be the microphone, do not take it out of your ear or put it in the case if you need it.
Bonus: Battery Care
- The microphone-side switch may work if you think the battery is running low. An AirPod can work alone as a headset. Keep the other in the case to charge, and then replace the two as needed.
- You can check the current load of the AirPods and the charging case. Place at least one AirPod in the case and open the cover and a card appears with the charge.
- You can also check the status of the charge using the Batteries widget on iOS. The case charge will only be displayed when there is at least one AirPod inside it.
- With a single charge you can use AirPods for up to five hours.
- The case contains several charges, able to carry them several times a day.
You have more than 24 hours to listen to music or up to 11 hours to talk.
- If you load the AirPods for 15 minutes in the case, you will have: Up to three hours to listen to music or more than one hour to talk.
- When the battery is low, you will hear a beep on one or both AirPods: once when the battery is weak and a second time before turning off.
If the AirPods are in the case, the light will show the status of the AirPods charge. Otherwise, if they are in the ears or out of the case, the light will show the status of the case.
- Green means the device is charged;
- Yellow means the accessory has less than one full charge;
- If the light blinks white, the AirPods will be ready to be configured;
- If the light blinks Yellow, you may need to set up the AirPods again.
Caution: Do not allow water to enter the AirPods
AirPods and the carrying case are not waterproof or resistant to water. Keep an eye on that. According to Apple, if AirPods come in contact with liquids, including sweat after exercise, dry them with a dry microfiber cloth. To dry the case, place it face down with the cover open.
You can replace one of the parts or the entire set according to Apple. Just buy (or request maintenance in case covered by Apple) and pair again.