Since you have decided to replace the old mechanical HDD with a new solid state drive much faster, now looking for a guide that explains specifically how to clone Windows hard drive and move it to SSD. We at Teknologya have created an ad hoc tutorial in which we show you some software to do it quickly and easily.
Clone Windows hard drive and move it to SSD with EaseUS Todo Backup
The first solution we recommend to use to clone the hard disk of your Windows PC and move it later on the SSD is called EaseUS Todo Backup. The software boasts a very simple and intuitive interface that allows cloning with just a few clicks.
Let’s find out how to use it:
- Open the default browser on your computer (eg Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge ), connect to the download page of the program and click on the Free Download button in the Free section. After that, fill in the field Your e-mail address by entering your e-mail address, subscribe to the newsletter by ticking the box (if you want), press the Test Todo Backup Free button and then press on Download to proceed with download.
- Completed also the installation (taking care to remove the check to the box Participate in the survey improvement program with customer experience to avoid sending statistics on the use of the software), open the program if it does not start automatically.
- From the window that appears, click on the 3 dashes on the top left and choose Clone from the screen that appears.
- After that, click on the icon of the hard disk to be cloned to select it and press the Next button.
- In the next step, choose the SSD to set it as the data destination disk and press Options. Click here to select Optimize for SSD.
- Having completed this operation, press OK, check all the settings and choose Proceed to start the cloning phase. Naturally, this procedure will delete all the files on the solid state disk. Besides this, before carrying out this operation it is necessary to connect the SSD to the computer.
Clone Windows hard drive and move it to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free
Another very famous software to consider is Macrium Reflect Free. The free version allows you to clone MPR and GPT disks, as well as modify the partitions.
That said, let’s find out how to use it together:
- From the default browser, connect to the software website, press the Home Use button and then click on Continue to proceed with the download.
- Completed also the installation, start Macrium Reflect Free and press on the option Clone this disk … in the box of the mechanical disk to be cloned.
- In the next window, make sure the hard disk is in the Source section and the SSD in that Destination. If not, use the Select a different source disk and Select a disk to clone to items to set the correct parameters.
- After that, check the settings and press the Next/Finish button to start the procedure (it should take several minutes depending on the amount of files to be transferred).
Clone Windows hard drive and move it to SSD: alternatives
In addition to the solutions indicated in the last lines, below we propose alternative programs to consider if you were not satisfied with EaseUS Todo Backup and Macrium Reflect Free. Here is the complete list.