The XCF format is used by GIMP, a well-known editing software, as the default for saving files. With this format it is possible to save graphical levels, channels and transparency but not the file history with which it is possible to go back to a previous version (as it happens on Adobe Photoshop with the PSD format). In this interesting guide today we will find out how to convert XCF to JPG if you have received such a file but you do not have idea of which means to use to make the conversion.
- How to convert XCF to JPG with GIMP
- How to convert XCF to JPG with IrfanView
- How to convert XCF to JPG online
How to convert XCF to JPG with GIMP
The first solution we propose to convert an XCF file to JPG is to use the same GIMP. So, if you have a computer with Windows, MacOS or Linux in front of you, then you can take advantage of the well-known free open source software.
Let’s see the steps to follow to proceed with the conversion:
- Open the default browser (ie. Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge ) and connect to the download page of GIMP.
- At this point, the site will automatically detect the operating system used and will propose two solutions for downloading: one via torrent and the other direct ( Download GIMP xxx via BitTorrent and Download GIMP xxx directly ).
- Once the download and installation are complete, double click on the image in XCF format that you want to convert to JPG using the software. If the file is not opened automatically with the editing program, then start GIMP first and choose Open and from the File menu (located at the top left) or drag the XCF inside the software window.
- Once the image loads, click once again on the menu File and choose Export As ….
- Now, proceed with saving the file to a favorite folder by typing also the extension .jpg at the end of the name (eg. Picture.jpg ) and press on Export.
- In automatic, the software will show you a window where you can adjust some settings regarding the quality of the output file.
- To complete the procedure, simply click on Export again.
How to convert XCF to JPG with IrfanView
If you own a Windows PC, then you have the opportunity to take advantage of an alternative solution to GIMP: its name is IrfanView. It is a very light and easy to use image viewer that includes advanced features.
Let’s see how to use it best:
- From the default browser of your Windows PC, connect to the official website of IrfanView, click on the Download Current version xx button in red under the architecture in your possession ( 32 bit or 64 bit ) and then Download Now from the new page that opens.
- Once the installation is complete, start the program and press the File menu on the top left.
- From the menu that appears, choose the option Batch Conversion/Rename … and, from the window that pops up, make sure it is selected Batch Conversion section Work as: and JPG as the output format Output format:.
- At this point, to select the XCF image created with GIMP, click on the File Type drop down menu: and choose All files (*. *).
- After that, identify and select the XCF file and click on Add.
- Now, to start converting the XCF image to JPG, just press Start Batch. Before doing this, remember to choose the destination folder by first clicking on Browse and then OK after selecting the folder.
How to convert XCF to JPG online
If you do not want to install programs on your computer or want to convert the XCF image to JPG from a smartphone or tablet (since there are no apps available), then you can take advantage of some websites. Find the complete list below.