Are you always looking for a faster speed for your Internet connection?
If you are in this condition and would like to try some new fast DNS, CloudFlare is for you. The well-known company that completely dedicated itself to CDN, decided to release its own DNS with the precise attention to improve privacy and speed online.
These are great settings for both fast surfing, but above all to protect your online privacy. If you are intrigued and would like to know how to set them correctly on your PC, smartphone, Mac and iPhone, you’re at the right place, in fact I’ll show you how to do it in this practical guide.
DNS CloudFlare: why choose them?
I’m sure you’re wondering why to choose these settings for your Internet connection, compared to all the others available online.
I will try to answer you by listing the main points and better than the other services available today.
- Privacy: the first thing that the company boasts is transparency. It will never collect your data, you do not have care what you do with the Internet. They have taken all the measures for not being able to trace in any way. It will remove all logs from your system after a maximum of 24 hours.
- Speed: we are always on the speech of speed, but as you can see once set, your online browsing will be faster and smoother.
How to configure DNS CloudFlare on PC
Do you have a PC with Windows operating system? If the answer is yes then this is the section for you.
In fact, here I will show you all the steps you need to perform on your Windows PC in order to set up DNS CloudFlare correctly.
- To start click on the Start button, search and click on the Control Panel item.
- Go to the item Network and Internet.
- Click now on Network and Sharing Center.
- On the left you will find the Change settings tab, click on it.
- Now with the right button select your Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection and immediately click on Properties.
- In the Network menu, you will find the entry Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4) and click on Properties.
- Now enter the data you see below, in the entries Preferred DNS Server and Alternative DNS Server.
- Click on OK, then on Close and finally on Close.
As you may have noticed, the procedure I showed you was done on a PC running Windows 10.
Obviously if you have an older version of the Microsoft operating system, the guide does not change, you will only find some differences with the items to go to search, but the procedure is identical.
If you already knew all the steps to do and you only want to know the values to be entered for IPv4, I’ll write them down below:
- Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
- Alternative DNS server: 188.8.131.52
While if you are interested in the IPv6, here are the values to insert:
- 2606: 4700: 4700 :: 1111
- 2606: 4700: 4700 :: 1001
How to configure DNS CloudFlare on Mac OS
Do you have a Mac? Would you like to know the practical guide to use CloudFlare DNS immediately ? I will show you in a schematic way what you have to do.
- Go to System Preferences on your Mac.
- Now click on the Network entry.
- In the menu that is in front of you, click on your type of Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.
- Go now to Advanced and immediately on the DNS entry.
- Delete everything you find inside and replace them with the values you find below.
- To complete click on OK and then on Apply.
You have completed the whole procedure and now you are browsing with the new DNS.
How to configure DNS CloudFlare on Linux (Ubuntu)
Are you using a Linux-based system? In this section I will show you what to do in order to browse with DNS CloufFlare with Ubuntu.
This is also a very simple procedure in this case.
- Click on the square-bottom left button and find the word Network in the search bar.
- Now select Wi-Fi or network cable, depending on what type of connection you are using and click on the icon in the form of anchor.
- Now you will find the entry IPv4 or IPv6 and you will see the DNS settings.
- Put the switch in the Automatic tab, OFF.
- Now in the bar below enter the DNS values: 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
- If you were using IPv6 enter: 2606: 4700: 4700 :: 1111.2606: 4700: 4700 :: 1001
- Click on Apply and you’re done.
The procedure was performed on a system with Ubuntu 17.10, but even in this case, it is a guide that is also suitable for previous versions of the operating system.
How to configure DNS CloudFlare on iPhone
Is your smartphone an iPhone or do you have an iPad? In this part of the guide, I will show you everything you need to do to be able to use CloudFlare DNS on iPhone and iPad.
Are you ready? Let’s begin.
- You will have to go through the settings of your iDevice.
- Select the Wi-Fi entry and click on it.
- Tap on Configure DNS and then click on Manual.
- Delete all entries in the DNS Server entry.
- Then click on the Add server button and type 18.104.22.168.
- Then click again on Add Server and then type 22.214.171.124.
- At the top click on the Save button.
You have finished, now your iPhone or iPad could momentarily disconnect from the network, but will automatically reconnect, allowing you to browse with the new DNS.
How to configure DNS CloudFlare on Android
Do you have a smartphone or tablet with an Android operating system? Would you like to use CloudFlare DNS on Android ?
If you answer is yes, then you are in the right section, here I will show you the fastest way to set these settings correctly for your Android device.
- First go to the Settings of your smartphone or Android tablet.
- Go to the section dedicated to the Wi-Fi network.
- Select the network you want to connect to.
- Click on it again and now you will find the Edit network entry (if you have a smartphone of last generation, you could find the item ” Advanced ” or “Show advanced settings“).
- Change the IP settings from DHCP to Static.
- Now you can enter in the DNS entries 1: 126.96.36.199, while in the entry DNS 2 you can enter: 188.8.131.52.
- Save everything and you’re done.
Conclusions: the fastest DNS of the web
I admit I was immediately attracted to the CloudFlare announcement when it said CloudFlare and the APNIC created the fastest DNS on the web.
I did not want to believe it, because up until a few hours before I was surfing very well with Google DNS and I did not think there was any DNS faster than theirs.
But no, I tried these settings and my online navigation has completely changed, the pages open at a staggering speed.
I’m really satisfied. Then what to say, in addition to speed, I am sure that my privacy should be safer, thanks to the excellent work of the company.
In case you want more detailed information, I suggest you take a look at the official website of these new DNS.