On Macs you can proceed with the installation of MacOS compatible programs without necessarily downloading them from the Mac App Store. Within this new guide today, for example, we will explain in detail how to install DMG on Mac by following a few simple steps.
For the uninitiated, all the programs that are not available in the Mac App Store can be downloaded from the Internet and installed on the computer using the DMG format. In this guide, therefore, we will find out together the exact steps to carry out a complete and error-free installation.
How to install DMG files on Mac
Now we are ready to move on to the main topic of this guide! Carefully follow the steps listed below:
- After downloading the program from the Web, double click with the left mouse button on the package and then move it to the Applications folder of MacOS that appears on the screen. Alternatively, drag the icon to the Applications folder in the sidebar of the Finder. If the folder does not appear in the macOS file manager, you can view it by pressing the Show sidebar item from the View menu at the top.
- After dragging the software icon into the Applications folder, the program will be successfully installed on your Mac.
- At this point, you can press the ( Eject ) button to eject the DMG file that you no longer need. If you wish, you can also proceed with the deletion by dragging it to the Trash icon in the Dock.
- Once the installation is complete, you can start the newly installed program by pressing its icon in the Applications folder or by using the Launchpad or by searching in Spotlight.
If the message appears that the software comes from an unidentified developer, it means that macOS will not allow you to open it. To solve this problem, right-click on the software icon and press twice on Open.
Fortunately, it is necessary to carry out this operation only at the first start of the program in order to bypass the block applied by the operating system against applications created by developers not certified by Apple.
If you still have problems about starting, then do this:
- Click on the gear in the Dock to open the System Preferences and then click on Security and Privacy.
- Once this is done, press the General tab from the displayed window and then press on the padlock on the bottom left. Enter the password for your user account to confirm the change.
- Now, put a tick on the App Store option and identified developers and then, if needed, press the button to run the program you want to start.
In some cases, within the DMG packages downloaded from the Internet there are programs in PKG format instead of APP. In this case, it is necessary to follow further steps, in addition to simple dragging, which are very similar to those performed on Windows. In general, therefore, you need to click on Accept, Continue and Install to proceed with the correct installation.