Reducing the size of a photo is necessary when dealing with images on the internet, for example on websites; Large photos take up a lot of unnecessary space and leave the pages slow. Fortunately, there are plenty of options to reduce the dimensions of an image.
Decreasing the size of a photo
When you decrease the size of a photo without deleting details of it (by cutting parts, for example), you force it to occupy a smaller number of pixels, which in turn reduces its quality; on the other hand a smaller image tends to be lighter, and often loss of resolution is not easily perceived by the naked eye.
There are several ways to reduce the size of a photo, know a few:
1. With Paint ( Windows )
- Open Paint and upload the image you want to resize;
- Click “Resize”;
- In the window that will open, click the “Pixels” option to adjust the size of the image in pixels (it is easier);
- Check the “Keep ratio” box so that changes in the horizontal box are reflected proportionally vertically, and vice versa;
- Set the new image size in the “Horizontal” and “Vertical” boxes;
- At the end, click “OK” and save the file as usual.
2. With Preview (macOS)
- Open a two-click image in macOS, and it opens in the Preview;
- Click “Tools”, “Adjust Size”;
- Click the menu to the right of the Width and Height values and select “pixels”;
- Check the “Resize proportionally” box;
- Change the values in “Width” and “Height” to fit the image as you want;
- At the end, click “OK” and save the image normally.
3. With Adobe Photoshop (Windows, MacOS)
- Open Photoshop and upload the image;
- Click “Image, Image Size”;
- Click the menus next to the Width and Height values and select “pixels”;
- Click the chain icon so that it is closed (connected) and the changes are proportional;
- Change the heights of Width and Height as desired;
- Click “OK” and save the image as usual.
4. With GIMP (Windows, MacOS, Linux )
- Open the GIMP and load the image;
- Click “Image, Resize Image”;
- Click the menu next to the Width and Height values and select “px”;
- Click a chain symbol next to the values so that it is closed (connected) so that the changes are proportional;
- Change the Width and Height values as desired;
- Click “Resize” and save the image.