Installing Windows 10 on a PC is not that complicated. You might find yourself in front of a PC or laptop with a missing or broken CD/DVD player and your only chance to install Windows 10 is to take advantage of a USB flash drive. The procedure is very simple and even those who are less experienced can be able to download and install Windows 10 from USB. Moreover, to tell the truth, installing Windows 10 from USB is also more convenient and practical because you can carry a USB pendrive comfortably and keep it in your pocket.
Before proceeding with the guide, however, make sure that the PC where you want to install Windows 10 has the necessary requirements that we are going to indicate you below.
Minimum requirements for installing Windows 10
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or higher or SoC
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit systems, 2 gigabytes (GB) for 64-bit
- Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit systems, 20 GB for 64-bit systems
- Video card: DirectX 9 or higher with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Screen: minimum resolution of 800 × 600
Now that you have verified the minimum requirements, you are ready to proceed with the creation of the USB stick containing Windows 10 to be installed on a PC.
Download Windows 10 for free
Downloading Windows 10 is extremely simple: all you need is an Internet connection and an operating system of Windows 7 or higher. With the procedure I will show you, you will go to download Windows 10 through the official Microsoft tool.
Before downloading the tool, make sure you have available:
- An Internet connection (Internet service provider fees may apply).
- Sufficient storage space for data on a computer, a USB drive, or an external drive for download.
- An empty USB flash drive with at least 4 GB of space. I remind you that the contents of the USB stick will be deleted to make room for the Windows 10 operating system that you will download.
- The product key if you are installing Windows 10 for the first time or if Windows 10 was not preinstalled by the PC manufacturer.
Well, now you are ready to download Windows 10 through the official Microsoft tool. Here are the download links:
- DOWNLOAD | Windows 10 image creation tool (for 32-bit OS)
- DOWNLOAD | Windows 10 image creation tool (for 64-bit OS)
Warning: if you try to download Windows 10 from an operating system other than Windows, instead of the Media Creation Tool software you will download directly the ISO image of Windows 10 in 32 or 64 bit version that you will then have to burn to USB or DVD.
Once you have downloaded the file, launch it and you will be faced with a similar screen:
Now you have to decide which version of Windows to download: I recommend Windows 10 Home.
Creation of the USB flash drive with Windows 10
Continuing forward with the official Microsoft tool, at some point you will be faced with the following screen:
You have to choose the media to use to install Windows 10. Of course, select USB flash drive and you will notice that it will start the download of Windows 10 that will be automatically installed on the USB.
At the end of the download your USB will be ready to be used to install Windows 10.
Install Windows 10 from USB
Now you are ready to install Windows 10 or upgrade your system to Windows 10.
- If you need to upgrade to Windows 10 or reinstall Windows 10 on a PC where Windows 10 is already running and running, then just insert the USB flash drive into your PC and the installation or update will start.
- If the PC to be updated is another or you can not boot the system, then continue reading.
The first thing to do is turn off the PC. Now insert the USB key and turn on the PC: if you do not immediately start the installation of Windows 10 then you have to enter the system BIOS to change the default boot order by choosing USB as the first item.
Usually if you have a laptop PC just press the F12 or F2 or F11 keys (depending on the manufacturer of the laptop) to change the boot order, without going into the bios.
To enter the BIOS just consult our guide in which we have already written for the eventuality.
Now the installation of Windows 10 will start. You will be faced with the following screen:
To skip the insertion of the Product Key of Windows 10 just click on the item below I do not have a product key or Do this later. You can enter it once the installation is complete and start Windows.
Activate Windows 10
If your PC or laptop already has a Windows 10 license, you can usually find the serial number attached to your PC. Otherwise, you can also use some third-party tools for activating your windows or get a valid Product Key.
Neither I nor our team of teknologya suggest use of these kind of tools so do it at your own risk.
That’s all, if you have any doubts or problems do not hesitate to leave a comment!