If your PS4 is slow and suffers from running games and apps or even recognizing its menu commands, you can do some things to clean up temporary files and rearrange your system so that it gets faster again.
How to handle a slow PS4
Over time, the PS4 builds up temporary files, which become corrupt over time and impair the overall performance of the device. When this happens, the console is slow to turn on, execute commands and even navigate through menus.
If your PlayStation 4 stops, thinks, and looks at the next day all the time, you can follow a few steps to help you catch your breath.
1. Uninstall games and apps you don’t use
This is a basic procedure, especially if you do not have much disk space available:
- Move the cursor to the game or app you want to uninstall;
- Hit the “Options” button on DualShock 4;
- Select “Delete” and then “OK”;
- Repeat for all apps and games you want to remove.
2. Clear the PS4 Cache
To only remove temporary data that may be corrupted, the cache clearing procedure is the simplest:
- Press and hold the DualShock 4 “PS” button to open the Quick Menu;
- Select the “Turn off PS4” option and wait for the console to shut down completely;
- Unplug the power cord from the back of the PS4 (required).
The procedure does not work if you just unplug the PS4, the power cord must be completely unplugged;
- Keep the PS4 off and unplugged for at least 5 minutes;
- Reconnect the power cord and turn on the PS4.
3. Rebuild the database
Rebuilding the database, a disk cleanup and defragmentation process, removes temporary files and the installation data is rearranged to make them easier to read. It’s a hard drive tool and should run from time to time, but if you have an SSD on your PS4, use it sparingly.
- Turn off the PS4;
- Connect DualShock 4 to the console via USB cable;
- Press and hold the console’s “Power” button for 7 seconds until it beeps a second time;
- Press the “PS4” the DualShock 4 and you will be in Safe Mode (Safe Mode);
- Select option 5, “Rebuild Database”;
- Wait for the process to complete;
- At the end, the PS4 system will start.