About a month ago, Huawei released its flagship series Mate 10. The Mate series consists of several smartphones such as Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro, Mate 10 Porsche Design and Mate 10 Lite.
All models have the same design, some hardware features are the same. The Mate 10 is the standard variant, Mate 10 Pro is the one with a larger display, Porsche Design is the smartphone with the Porsche signature and Mate 10 Lite is the one with a less powerful hardware. In this guide, we will look at the procedure to unlock bootloader and root Huawei Mate 10 and the other version of this smartphone.
All these devices were successfully unlocked (Bootloader), they were provided with customized recovery and obtained root permissions. If you have one of these versions of Huawei Mate 10, it’s time to unlock their full potential. Unlocking the Android phone bootloader is necessary to install a custom recovery, but it will also stop the OTA updates and completely reset your phone. If you are brave enough to take this step, follow the steps below to install a custom recovery, unlock bootloader and root Huawei Mate 10.
Unlocking the Huawei Mate 10 bootloader means you no longer care about your phone’s warranty. The Bootloader is responsible for checking the system’s security on the phone. If you unlock it, your phone will no longer check the system and you can make any kind of changes.
The bootloader has the kernel code, which is responsible for starting the phone. This is why smartphone makers keep it locked by default. If you wish to unlock the bootloader, you must accept the terms and conditions provided by the smartphone manufacturer. Android enthusiasts who are used to mod procedures already know the risks and benefits of these procedures. If you do it for the first time, it is important to understand the pros and cons.
Without unlocking the bootloader, a custom recovery can not be installed, which means that the phone can not be rooted. If you’ve already thought about flashing a custom recovery on your phone and getting root permissions, then continue in this guide.
TWRP recovery for these devices is still in beta, so we will skip this installation. For now, we will only unlock the bootloader and get root permissions. Here is the complete guide to unlock bootloader and root Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Lite and Mate 10 Pro.
How to unlock bootloader and root Huawei Mate 10
Precautions and preparation
- This guide is intended exclusively for unlocking bootloader and root Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro and Mate 10 Lite. Do not try this method on any other device, otherwise, you may cause a bricking.
- Make sure your phone’s battery is 80% charged to avoid power problems during the installation process.
- Back up all your important contacts, call logs, text messages and multimedia content to keep them safe. Do not forget to create a backup as this process completely deletes your data.
- Enable USB debugging mode on the phone in the developer options. To do this, go to Settings> Device Info> click the build number 7 times. Now you will have the development options in the settings. Open Developer Option> Enable USB debugging. If you have the “OEM Unlocking” option, enable it as well.
- Use the original data cable to establish a connection between the phone and the PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Download and required installations
- Download and install Huawei USB driver – Download Huawei USB Drivers or Download Hisuite (Driver Included).
- Download and install Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers. If you do not know how to install the tool, follow this guide.
- Create a Huawei account for your Mate 10 from this link.
How to unlock bootloader Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro and Mate 10 Lite
- Unblocking the bootloader will erase the data on your device. Make sure you have backed up before continuing.
- Log in and enter the official Huawei site and confirm by accepting the unlock conditions. Enter the IMEI number, model number and phone serial number.
- Confirm and Huawei will send you the bootloader unlock code displayed on a pop-up. Keep it because you will need it later.
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed the Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers on your Windows PC or installed ADB and Fastboot for Mac.
- Now connect your phone to the PC.
- Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe from your desktop. If you do not have this file on your desktop, then go to the Windows drive where the folder is located, for example C drive> Programs> Minimal ADB and Fastboot> Hold down Shift + Right click on an empty area with the open folder> click on ” Open the command window here “.
- Now in the Command window enter the following commands one by one.
This command will restart your Nvidia Shield in the bootloader. Once started, release the following command.
This command will check the connection of the device with the PC in fastboot mode.
fastboot oem unlock (unlock code)
This command will unlock the bootloader. As soon as you press the Enter key, you will receive a message on your phone asking for confirmation that the bootloader is unlocked. Use the volume up and down keys to navigate through the options and confirm the unlock.
Now that your phone’s bootloader has been unlocked, the Huawei Mate 10 will be completely reset. You will need to enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking once again after the phone has been fully configured. Now you can go to the next section to get the root permissions of your Mate 10.
How to get root permissions Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro and Mate 10 Lite
- Download and decompress FHMate10tool.
- Connect the phone to the computer again.
- Open the Command window of Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe.
- In the Command window, enter the following command: adb reboot bootloader
- This command will restart your phone in bootloader mode.
- Now you need to run the FHMate10Tool.exe file.
- In the newly opened screen, you will find the options for the root of your phone. The first option is ” Root your Mate 10 “.
- Type 1 and press Enter.
- You will find other instructions on the screen. Now follow the procedure and you will have your phone with root permissions.
- Once the phone has been rooted, it will reboot and the USERDATA will be completely erased. SuperSU will be installed on your phone.
Here, now you have seen how to unlock bootloader and root Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro and Mate 10 Lite with root permissions. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.