Released in 2011, Mortal Kombat 9 ( PlayStation 3, PS Vita, Xbox 360 and PC ) features a series of secrets, characters and cheats that the player can unlock in their various game modes. In this article, you will know some of these tips and tricks.
How to unlock characters in Mortal Kombat 9
Mortal Kombat 9 has a series of secret characters, where some can be unlocked, for free use in all game modes, while others (like Goro) are restricted to a specific mode. There are also those that are unique, and others that can only be faced, but not controlled. Check out the list of secret characters, and how to control them (when possible):
- Cyber Sub-Zero: Complete Chapter 13 of Story Mode;
- Quan Chi: Complete all Story Mode;
- Goro: Enter the Tower of Challenges mode and reach challenge 150, called Autograph for whom? (in the original, Gor-owned ), where you will control the shokan against five opponents, one behind the other.
Goro can not be controlled in any other Mortal Kombat mode 9;
- Kratos: The god of war is exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita, and has been enabled from the start;
- Skarlet, Rain, Kenshi and Freddy Krueger: these are accessible only via DLC, but come included in the Komplete Edition version of the game;
- Cyber Reptile: Enter the Tower of Challenges mode and reach challenge 227, called Cyborg Fantasy (in the original Cyborg-Absorb), where Reptile will appear using a robotic skin, but with the same punches.
This Reptile skin is not available in any other Mortal Kombat 9 mode;
- Kintaro and Shao Kahn: cannot be unlocked, only faced.
How to unlock secrets in Mortal Kombat 9
Mortal Kombat 9 has a number of other secrets, and we list some of them here:
- Listen to the classic stage songs: On the character selection screen, place the cursor on a stage and press the Start button.
If done correctly, you will hear the laughter of Shao Kahn;
- Enable Mileena’s Third Outfit: To play Mileena in the Meat Pits costume, complete all 300 stages of the Tower of Challenges;
- Enable Kratos ‘third costume (PlayStation 3 only): Defeat Shao Kahn in Kombate mode with Kratos, and win Kratos’ Fear costume.
Unlock secret fights in Kombate mode
The original four characters of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II (Reptile, Jade, Smoke and Noob Saibot) can be dealt with in Kombate mode if the player fulfills certain requirements for each of them. Learn which ones.
- Reptile: In the scenario The Pit 2 (at night), wait until a figure appears passing in front of the Moon, and then win the fight with two Flawless Victories (without losing energy) and a scenario Fatality;
- Jade: Win Shang Tsung with two Flawless Victories and a Fatality;
- Smoke: In The Living Forest scenario, when Smoke emerges from behind the trees, press Directional Down + Select (PlayStation 3) or Directional Down + Back (Xbox 360) repeatedly;
- Noob Saibot: In The Temple scenario, when Noob Saibot appears in the background, win the fight without using the defensive button.
Run Babalities on bosses
Usually, Mortal Kombat 9 does not allow the player to make finishing moves, such as Fatalities, on the bosses. However, with a few steps, it is possible to subject Goro, Kintaro and Shao Kahn to Babalities, the technique that turns enemies into babies.
This tip only works in Kombate mode, and only in Medium and higher difficulties.
- Goro and Kintaro: Get to any of them without using continuations (you may lose rounds, but no fights), and having applied a Babality on Shang Tsung.
After that, you win the last round against Goro or Kintaro without using the defensive button, and Babality will automatically activate.
- Shao Kahn: The criteria are the same for Goro and Kintaro, but it is necessary to apply Babality on all previous opponents, including the bosses mentioned above.
After that, defeat the last round against Shao Khan without using the defensive button, and Babality will automatically activate.