While reading the technical characteristics of the new TV purchased, you came across the WiFi Direct option. For this you are looking for a guide that explains in detail what is and how WiFi Direct works so as to remove any doubt.
WiFi Direct: what is it
Before getting to the heart of our new tutorial, you need to know all the information you need to make the most of this particular technology. The WiFi Direct was introduced for the first time in 2010 and allows two devices to communicate using their wireless network cards without using a router that in this case would act as an intermediary.
WiFi Direct is a technology designed primarily to allow two or more devices to exchange files using the speed of WiFi technology which is practically the highest among the wireless communication systems. Moreover, all this happens without particular and complex configurations.
Thanks to the expansion of WiFi Direct, today you can use this standard in different situations. For example, you can connect your mouse and keyboard, transmit content to compatible displays, print wirelessly without having a router, and much more.
One of the strengths of WiFi Direct is its extremely simple configuration. In fact, the connection between two or more terminals takes place completely automatically without entering a password. All you need to do is activate the functionality on the devices on which to exchange files and wait for the connection. In some cases, it is enough that one of the two devices has connectivity such as when data is passing between two Android devices.
How WiFi Direct works to exchange files
If you want to exchange files between two Android devices compatible with WiFi Direct technology (eg two smartphones or two tablets), you can use the integrated functionality or the excellent SuperBeam application, available for free on the. In the first case, you need to find the appropriate entry that is usually called WiFi Direct in the Connections menu, Network or Network and other settings and follow the wizard.
If, however, you choose to rely on the aforementioned software, carefully follow the steps below:
- Grab the two devices on which you want to exchange files, proceed with the download and installation of SuperBeam and start it once completed.
- To use the free version of the software press on the X in the upper left corner of the screen that appears or alternatively you can try the pro features by pressing on Trial version or still go directly to the premium version by making an in-app purchase.
- Once you arrive at the initial software screen, from the sending device, make sure you are on the Submit page. If not, press the 3 dashes at the top left or swipe from the left edge to the right and choose Send from the menu that appears.
- In the next step, tap the icon for the files you want to transfer and choose the file of your interest by pressing on its preview.
- At this point, to proceed with sending plugs on the airplane that appears at the bottom right. If you want, you can also select other items to send by simply pressing on their name.
- Now, switch on the receiving device, download and install more Superbeam, start it and this time choose receive from the side menu.
- Once this is done, tap on Scan QR code and frame the QR code on the sending device with the device’s camera.
- If all went well, after a few seconds you should receive the file. To see it, you press paste on View.
If you own an iPhone or an iPad, then you can take advantage of WiFi Direct technology through AirDrop functionality.
How WiFi Direct works to transmit the screen
In addition to exchanging files, as anticipated above, you can use WiFi Direct technology to project the content on your smartphone, tablet or PC screen to a TV compatible with Miracast technology. This feature can be found on different models of Smart TV of the last generation but takes different names. For example, on Samsung models it is called AllShare while on those of LG Screen Share or even Screen Mirroring and Wireless Screencast on Smart TVs of Sony and Philips, respectively.
To use WiFi Direct you must first find the dedicated functionality in the Smart TV Settings and activate it. After that, go to Settings of your smartphone or tablet. The feature in question can be found within the Network Settings and is often identified with the name of Wireless Screen (or similar).
Once you reach the screen of this feature, the name of your TV should appear in the list. Simply press on it to establish the connection.