In recent months we have seen how different smartphone manufacturers have decided to adopt new authentication methods to easily and quickly unlock their device. Examples are the facial recognization or by fingerprint. In this new guide today we will explain how to remove the screen lock from the settings of your smartphone/tablet in case you use a PIN or password, two methods certainly not fast.
- How to disable the screen lock on Android
- How to disable the screen lock on iPhone and iPad
- How to disable the screen lock on Windows 10
- How to disable the screen lock on macOS
If you are of the “forgetful” types and you have trouble remembering the PIN or password to unlock your device, then in the next lines you will find all the steps to quickly access the initial screen of your terminal without typing each time. You should know, however, that in this way you will put your privacy at risk because anyone can access the content by simply pressing the on/off button on the side or the physical Home button or double tap on the screen and make one swipe from bottom to top on the screen.
As an alternative, we recommend using a faster method of unlocking such as iris scanning, face scanning or fingerprint scanning. To activate one of these solutions, simply go to the Security and Screen Lock menu (or similar name) and choose the appropriate option (eg Face unlocking, Iris for unlocking via iris or Fingerprint ). Once you have chosen the desired method, simply follow the wizard to configure it.
How to remove the screen lock on Android
After the important premise, we can now move on to the main topic of our new guide today, ie how to delete the request to enter PIN, password or another preferred method. If in your hands you have a smartphone or a tablet with Google’s mobile operating system, then you can remove the screen lock by following the steps listed below:
- Open the Settings by pressing on the gear you find on the home screen, in the drawer or by pulling down the notification curtain.
- At this point, find the menu related to Security and Locations and press to open it.
- When this is done, set Swipe or None as the unlock method of the device.
- Complete the procedure by entering the PIN, password or Pattern. From now on you can unlock your Android device by performing a simple swipe on the screen as mentioned a moment ago.
How to remove the screen lock on iPhone and iPad
If you use an iPhone or an iPad and want to delete the PIN, password or other method of unlocking, just follow the steps listed below:
- Open the Settings by pressing the gear icon of the iOS home screen and choose Touch ID and code or Face ID and code (if you have an iPhone X or later models).
- From the Enter code window, type the code and then press on Disable code and then on Disable from the message that appears.
- If you use the Touch ID or Face ID, instead, from the Use Touch ID for or Use Face ID for section, press the Unlock iPad/iPhone slider, the iTunes Store and App Store, Apple Pay and Automatic Password Filling.
How to remove the screen lock on Windows 10
To quickly access the desktop of your Windows 10 PC, and thus reduce startup times, you need to follow a few simple steps.
Here are the following:
- From the keyboard, press the Win + R key combination to open an Execute window.
- After that, type the netplwiz command in the field provided and click OK to open the User Account window.
- At this point, remove the check to the option To use this computer, the user must enter the name and password and confirm by pressing Apply.
- In the next step, type your Windows login password in the Password and Confirm password fields and click OK to save the changes.
The procedure listed above is valid only for local user accounts. So, if you use your Microsoft account to access (to be clear the one connected to the Hotmail or Outlook e-mail address ), you have to follow different instructions.
Here are the following:
- From Start, open the Settings by pressing the gear icon and click on Account from the window that appears.
- Having done this, click on Sign-in options from the left sidebar, click on the drop-down menu below under Require Sign-in and set to Never instead When PC Wakes up from sleep. Alternatively, click on the Remove button below PIN twice in succession if you use a code to access Windows or always on the Remove button but Picture Password if you access Windows through a photo.
In case you have a laptop or tablet with the Windows Hello unlocking system (which can be through face recognition and/or fingerprint), then press the Remove button twice in a row that you find under the heading Fingerprint and Face Recognization (under the Windows Hello section ).
How to remove the screen lock on macOS
If you are a Mac owner, you can remove the screen lock in this case by following a few simple steps.
Here they are listed below:
- Press the Apple logo at the top left of the menu bar and choose System Preferences or alternatively press the gear icon you find in the Dock.
- After that, press on Security and privacy and then click on the padlock located at the bottom left.
- From the window that appears, type the password to access your macOS user account and enter the keyboard.
- Now, click on the General tab that you find at the top left, remove the check to Require password and confirm your will by clicking on Disable screen lock.
Since from now on your Mac will be easily accessible by other people, we also recommend disabling the iCloud keychain through the appropriate entry.
If your intent is to disable the entry of the password only when the computer is switched on, and then you want to keep it on waking up after a stand-by phase or disconnecting user accounts, then do so:
- Open System Preferences as noted earlier, click on Security and Privacy and click on the FileVault tab.
- Once you have done so, click on the padlock located at the bottom left, enter the password of your macOS user account and press Enter.
- At this point, click on Disable FileVault and return to System Preferences.
- From here, click on Users and groups, click on the lock and press the Enter key after typing the password.
- Now, choose Login Options from the left sidebar and press on your name you find in the Auto Login in drop down menu.
Apple has decided to implement on some MacBook models the Touch ID sensor that is on the right side of the Touch Bar, at the top of the keyboard. At this time, you can find this unlocking method on the 15-inch MacBook Pro from the 2016 model onwards and on the 13-inch MacBook Pro from 2016 with 4 Thunderbolt 3 and later ports.
So, if you want to remove access to the Desk via fingerprint, follow the steps listed below:
- Open System Preferences as shown in the following lines and press on Touch ID.
- At this point, to remove the previously stored fingerprints, simply place the mouse pointer on each fingerprint and press first on the X that appears and then on the Delete button.
- Complete the procedure by entering the password to access your macOS user account.