We often hear the news of hacking social media accounts. There is no need to say how personal your social media accounts are.
That’s why social media platforms are trying to give their best efforts to protect your privacy. When it comes to security, you may have heard about a feature heavily used by leading Internet sites and services: two-factor authentication.
As the name says, this is a mechanism that, after confirming your login and password, checks your data a second time to make sure that you are trying to access your account.
Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram are some of the applications that already offer this feature, and the activation process is quite simple: you just need to configure the apps.
The use of two-step authentication is the same for all three apps: you receive an SMS code, which in turn needs to be informed to continue accessing your profile. See below how to enable the option in social networks.
1. Open the Facebook app and touch the menu icon in the upper right corner. Scroll down the screen and go to “Account settings” and then “Security and login”.
2. In the next window, tap “Use two-factor authentication” and enable the “Two-factor authentication” feature.
3. On the new page, click “Start Setup,” then “Continue” to receive a text message and confirm that you are adding the feature to your phone. Here, you must have a phone associated with your profile; so if you do not already have a registered number, add one of your own.
The app will prompt you to re-enter your Facebook account password. The last step requires you to enter the six-digit SMS code received on the mobile phone.
From there, every time you enter the login and password to access Facebook on your smartphone or computer, the social network will send a unique code via text message to continue.
1. Open WhatsApp on your mobile phone and click the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen. Go to “Settings” and then “Account”.
2. Tap “Two-step verification” and tap “Activate” on the next screen.
3. The application will ask you to create a six-digit personal code that will be used later to confirm that you have registered your phone number in WhatsApp. You’ll also be asked to enter an email for account recovery if you forget your PIN.
Once this is done, the two-step verification is completed successfully.
1. Open Instagram and go to your profile. Then click the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen to open the settings menu.
2. Now touch “Two Factor Authentication” and check the “Require security code” box. Click “Add Number.” If you already have a number added, just click “Activate” and wait for the security code to be received.
3. Now enter the security code which you received via SMS, which must be entered to complete two-factor authentication. Now it’ll give you 5 security codes, it is recommended that you take a screenshot of your backup codes to use one of the codes created by Instagram.