Some people may feel insecure with webcams, which accompany laptops by default. To try to protect themselves, some even stick little stickers or tape on the camera. The good news is that there is a practical way to resolve this issue without having to risk damaging the lens display with glue, especially if you intend to reuse the lens. So here’s how to disable the webcam in Windows 10.
How to Disable and Enable a Webcam in Windows 10
1. Click the Start menu in the lower-left corner of the desktop. You can also click the Windows logo key on the keyboard;
2. In the search field that appears, type “Device Manager” (without the quotation marks). Select the given option;
Tip: You can reach the same place by going to the Run menu (press the Windows logo key + R). In the window that opens, type “devmgmt.msc“, without the quotation marks, and click OK.
3. You will see a list of devices on your computer. Look for “Cameras” and click on the option to expand the menu;
4. To deactivate the camera(s), right click on the name(s) listed and then select the “Disable device” option;
5. It is not necessary to uninstall the camera, remember that you may need it in the future;
6. To activate the camera again, simply follow the same steps above and, when you right-click, choose the option to enable the device.
Important: To keep your devices working properly, including the camera, you can search for updates in the same window. When you right-click on some hardware, select the “Update Driver” option. The system will then scan for possible updates.