Some applications for smartphones and tablets allow you to identify a person’s position in a very simple way so you can reach him in case you had difficulty in following the directions received. So, if you want to find out how to track down a person using a mobile phone, just continue reading our new guide today!
- Google Maps
- Find my friends
- How to track down a person using a mobile phone: alternatives
The first solution that we propose to trace the position of a person from your smartphone or tablet is to use the application of the well-known social network: Facebook. Inside there is a convenient feature that allows you to share your position and know that of your friends.
Let’s see how to exploit it:
- Open the Facebook application on your smartphone ( Android / iOS / Windows 10 Mobile ) and press on the 3 dashes on the upper right hand side of Android and lower right on iOS.
- From the screen that appears, locate the Friends nearby and press the Activate location services button to automatically activate the position.
- From the window that appears, find the list of friends nearby who are using the Facebook service. In particular, the name, the country, the distance expressed in km and the last update of the position are reported. You can use the Search for friends nearby field to find the person in the list immediately without scrolling.
If the user in question does not appear in the list, you can invite him to use the Friends function in the vicinity of the social platform by tapping first on the 3 dots on the top right, then on Invite your friends from the small menu that appears and press the button Invite present at the name you find by scrolling through the list or using the Search field at the top.
As seen with Facebook, Google also provides a feature integrated into its Google Maps app which allows you to share your personal position and know that of your friends. After making sure you have installed the application on your iDevice or Android device and have activated the location from the Settings, carefully follow the steps that we list below:
- Grab your Android or iOS terminal and start the Google Maps application making sure you’re signed in with your Google account.
- Now, press on the 3 dashes at the top left of the main screen and press on the item Location Sharing.
- After pressing the Start button at the bottom, choose how long it takes to share the position through the option Until the deactivation or by using the – and + buttons located at For 1 hour.
- In the next step, press the Contacts icon (on Android) or Select people (on iOS) and tap on the name of the user with whom you want to share the location.
- Finish the procedure by tapping the Share button in the upper right corner of iOS and lower right on Android and then Activate from the window that appears.
If you want to know the position of your friend, do the same procedure as you did a while ago or alternatively you can send him a request always using the Google Maps app. Just go to the Sharing section of the location as indicated a moment ago and press the Request button twice in a row from the menu below. The invited user will receive a notification from Maps that will allow him to share his position with a simple tap.
After sharing the position with a user for the first time, you can later share it faster by simply activating the switch on the card screen of the person with whom you previously shared the position and then pressing the Share button, always in Sharing the position of Google Maps.
Even the well-known instant messaging application offers the possibility to discover the position of a person through an integrated feature, just like seen with Facebook and Google Maps.
Here are the steps to follow to make the most of it:
- Open the WhatsApp app on your Android, iOS or Windows 10 Mobile device and press on the conversation of the person to whom you want to send your position or vice versa receive from the Chat screen. Alternatively, press the comic button on the bottom right and tap on the person’s name to start a new conversation.
- Once the chat is open, press the clip in the Write a message field (located below) and tap Location, on Android. On iOS, however, first press on + and then on Location.
- Now, choose whether to send the current location by tapping on Send your Location or share the location continuously for 15 minutes , 1 hour or 8 hours by pressing on Share current Location. If you choose the latter option, be sure to press the green send message button.
Find my friends
Find my friends is a free application included as standard on all iOS devices that allows you to find in a few simple steps another owner of iPhone or iPad using the location.
Let’s see how to exploit it:
- First of all, activate the position from the iOS Settings by first pressing on Privacy and then on Localization and turn ON the switch present at the Location.
- That done, in case you did not have the Find my friends app, proceed with the download from the App Store.
- Once the installation is complete, open the Apple software and give consent to access to your location by clicking on Allow from the warning that appears.
- In the next step, click on All friends at the top left and then choose Add friends from the side menu that appears.
- From the Share location window, type the name of the person with whom you want to share the position or its e-mail address and then forward the request by pressing the Send button at the top right.
- Now, choose whether to share the position for 1 hour, until the end of the day or forever by pressing on the appropriate items.
- The invited people will be able to view your location by accessing the Find my friends app (also identified as the Find Friends ). If you wish, you can request the sharing of their position by pressing Ask to follow.
How to track down a person using a mobile phone: alternatives
In addition to the solutions seen a little while ago, it is possible to trace a person via smartphone using other methods that we refer to below:
- Find My Device (Android)
- Find my iPhone (iOS)
- Skype ( Android / iPhone / iPad / Windows 10 Mobile )
- Facebook Messenger ( Android / iOS / Windows 10 Mobile )
- WeChat ( Android / iOS / Windows 10 Mobile )
- Telegram ( Android / iOS / Windows 10 Mobile )