You are in the supermarket and you need to read a QR code of a product and you do not know how to do with your iPhone. Maybe you do not know that you can scan QR codes and documents easily from the home screen of the iOS device. Here’s how you can make the most of this feature on iPhone and be able to use it easily whenever you need without installing third-party apps.
The QR code is now used on all food products, technology and many others, to know more in depth more information about the product itself. Or, they allow you to quickly access websites without having to type in the address. And now, QR Codes are managed natively by the iOS operating system. In this guide we will look at the different ways to read QR codes with a simple touch, but also how to scan documents with native iPhone apps.
How to read QR code with iPhone
By now, QR codes can be found anywhere, digitally stores addresses, URLs or other information. In iOS, Apple has simplified the scanning of these codes through the Home screen.
Using the Camera app on the Home screen
1) The first method we will see to read QR code is to use the 3D Touch function together with the iPhone Camera app. Keeping pressed on the icon of the Camera app that you find on the Home, you will go to visualize the option “Scan QR code” that will allow you to read the QR. The first time you activate it by clicking on the function, you will see a message that says:
“Use the integrated camera to scan any QR code. When a code is detected, tap the notification or drag down on the notification to see more options.”
2) Tap “Continue” (only the first time).
3) Position your camera so that it can frame the QR code. Once done, the Camera will automatically scan and you can immediately read the contents of the code.
4) The next time you have to read a QR code, you will be asked to perform only steps 1, 3 and 4.
Using the control center
The second method we use is to use the function in the Control Center. There are two different ways to scan a QR code from the Control Center, which are located directly on the Home screen.
1) First you have to swipe from bottom to top on the iPhone screen to open the Control Center. Press firmly on the Camera icon and tap “Scan QR code“.
2) The second option from the Control Center is also to directly touch the Scan the QR code icon. But if you’ve never used it, this icon probably does not appear in the Control Center. Let’s see how to activate it.
3) By default, this icon is not found in the Control Center. To add it, go to the Settings app on your iOS device. Select Control Center -> Customize Controls, then go to ADDITIONAL CONTROLS and click on the green “+” symbol next to Scan the QR code to add it. You will see that the option disappears, but reappears in the INCLUDE section. In this way you have activated the Scan the QR code in the Control Center. Now go back to the Control Center and you will see the icon of the new function and simply touch the Scan the QR code icon every time you have to read a QR code.
Scan documents with Notes
From the iOS 11 version, from your iPhone you have been able to scan documents using the native Notes app. Now, with iOS 12 you can scan documents with Notes more immediately using different methods. As with reading the QR code, this function can also be activated from both the Home screen and the Control Center. Let’s find out the procedure with the different methods.
Notes app on the Home screen
With iOS 12, you can now access the Notes document scanner using the gesture on the Home screen. Just press the Notes icon to use the 3D Touch context menu. Touch Scan document, then let it go. The Camera app will appear, inviting you to frame the document to be scanned.
On the control panel
Now you can scan a document with Notes also from the Control Center. Follow this procedure:
1) Tap the Notes icon in the Control Center. By default this function is not installed. If you do not see the Notes icon in the Control Center, then you will have to add it first. Let’s see how to do it.
To add it, go to the Settings app on your iOS device. Select Control Center -> Customize Controls, then go to ADDITIONAL CONTROLS and click on the green “+” symbol next to Notes to add it. You will see that the option disappears, but reappears in the INCLUDE section. In this way you have activated the Note function in the Control Center. Now go back to the Control Center and you’ll see the new feature icon and simply tap the Notes icon every time you need to scan a document.
2) Go back to the Control Center and keep the Note icon pressed and select “Scan Document” from the menu that appears. From here, you will scan the document as you normally would.
On iPhone and iPad, it has never been easier to read QR code and scan documents. Using these features will save your time so you can dedicate it to other, more interesting things on your iPhone.