You often use your computer when you are out but look for a solution to extend its display so as to have more space available. Within this new guide today we will find out together how to use an Android smartphone as a second monitor using the appropriate applications.
How to use an Android smartphone as a second monitor via Splashtop Wired XDisplay
Splashtop Wired XDisplay is a powerful app that allows you to extend the screen on your Android device by connecting it to your computer using a USB cable. This means that there will be no sudden disconnections that usually occur over a wireless connection. In addition to this, the application allows you to customize some settings.
To start using Splashtop Wired XDisplay, you need to download and install the XDisplay Agent program from the appropriate Web page by clicking on the Download XDisplay Agent photo or Mac Download XDisplay Agent for PC button, depending on the operating system in use.
Once the installation is complete, you can set the frame rate and quality via the two dedicated drop-down menus via the Settings screen. In addition to this, by pressing the Set resolution button, you can set the resolution through the settings.
At this point, you need to switch to your Android smartphone or tablet. Here are the steps to follow:
- Proceed to download the Splashtop Wired XDisplay Free app from the Google Play Store and launch it once the installation is complete.
- Once this is done, uncheck the Allow anonymous usage data collection item if you do not want to send data anonymously to the company and continue tapping on Accept.
- Now, you need to enable USB debugging via the Developer Options menu of the Settings. To activate Developer Options, all you need to do is open Settings, choose About Phone, locate Build Version and make 7 consecutive taps until the message “You are a developer now!“. Now, go back to Settings and press on Developer Options. To proceed with the activation of USB debugging, you just need to press the switch on the right of the item USB debugging.
- Now, you’re ready to turn your Android device into a second screen. To do this, connect it to the computer using the USB cable supplied in the package and press Allow on the message that appears on the screen.
- If everything went the right way, the screen of your PC should appear on the display of your smartphone.
How to use an Android smartphone as a second monitor via Spacedesk
Spacedesk is another great free application that can be used to transform your Android device into a second PC monitor. Installation is very simple and requires downloading a program to be installed on the Windows computer.
So, connect to the Spacedesk websiteand press the Windows 10 (64-bit) or Windows 10 (32-bit) buttons if you have the latest version of Microsoft’s operating system or on the Windows 7/8.1 (64- bit) or Windows 7 / 8.1 (32-bit) if you have Windows 8.1 or 7.
Once the installation is complete, grab your smartphone or tablet and proceed with the download of the Spacedesk app from the Google Play Store. Once the installation is complete, open the application and connect to the primary Windows PC (server). In this way, you will extend the screen of your computer on the device. Remember that both devices must be connected to the same wireless or LAN network or alternatively you can use the hotspot or tethering via USB.