If you installed a beta version on your iOS device (iPhone, iPad and iPod) and for some reason you no longer want to use it, rest assured – you can return to the previous software. Follow this tutorial and learn how to downgrade iOS.
The beta version of iOS is available to members of the Apple Beta Software Program, Customer Seed Program and iOS Developer Program.
How to downgrade iOS [Restore device]
To return to the previous version, you will need to restore the device. Then, you can configure the device again, as long as you have an archived backup.
Apple warns that backups created while using the beta may not be compatible with older versions of iOS.
- Check if your computer has the latest version of macOS or iTunes;
- Connect your iOS device to your computer and follow these steps to put it into recovery mode:
- iPhone 8 or later: Quickly press and release the Volume Up button. Do the same with the Volume Down button. Then, press the side button until the recovery mode screen is displayed.
- iPad with Face ID: quickly press and release the Volume Up button. Do the same with the Volume Down button. Press the top button until the device starts to restart and do not stop until it enters Recovery Mode.
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus or iPod Touch (7th generation): Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. You’ll see the Apple logo – don’t let go. Keep pressing until the recovery mode screen appears.
- iPhone 6 or earlier, iPad with Home button or iPod Touch (6th generation or earlier): press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously. You’ll see the Apple logo – don’t let go. Keep pressing until the recovery mode screen appears.
- Click on the “Restore” option. This will install the current, not beta, version of iOS;
- Wait for the restoration to finish and, if necessary, log in with your Apple ID to disable Activation Lock.
If the process is not completed correctly, read the Apple FAQ and identify the error.
How to remove the public beta version of iOS
The simplest way to uninstall the public beta is to delete the beta profile and wait until the next update. If you are not in a hurry, you can follow the step by step below.
- Go to “Settings”> “General” and select “Device and Profile Management”;
- Select the iOS beta software profile;
- Touch “Remove Profile” and restart the device.
With information: Apple